Water dechlorinator - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water dechlorinator

I've just read somewhere that if you add water straight from the tap to your tank, you should add enough to treat the whole tank and not just the new water, is this true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 06:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
That's what the seachem prime MFG instructions say to do.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...ges/Prime.html

That said, I dose in-tank and dose to the new water volume, not tank volume. Perhaps I'm living dangerously, but there are folks on here who have adamantly insisted that dosing the whole tank is overkill.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I just dose for the new water going in.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 06:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
And for the record, here's a great argument by plantedRich as to why you should be dosing to the tank volume, not the change volume.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...62&postcount=9

The general gist is that by dosing to the change volume, the dechlorinator concentration is too low to quickly find and neutralize the chlorine.

Of course, the counter-argument would be that if the chlorine concentration is lower, the rate of neutralization is less urgent. The concentration vs neutralization rate scale together if you dose to the volume of the change.

Deep question:

Is adding 1ml of prime to a 100 gallon tank with 10 gallons of new, chlorinated water in it any different than dosing 10ml of prime to 100 gallons of new, chlorinated water and waiting a second until 90% of the chlorine is neutralized? Probably, if only because we are likely dosing way more prime than it really takes to negate all the chlorine.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I use Seachem Safe which is the powdered from of Prime and costs many times less than Prime.

Call me ultra-conservative, but I pre-mix my water with dechlorinator before adding to the tanks. The chlorine levels in my source water are inconsistent and it only takes a simple "sniff test". I would bet most water supplies have a similar issue. There are days when I can smell the chlorine in the next room as the mixing tub fills and days when there isn't even the faintest chlorine odor. Short of testing for chlorine levels, I just opt to pre-mix before doing water changes.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (150/100%)
Interesting topic.. Never really thought about this. I only dechlor the new water going in the tank every time. And well, never really had any problems though Still curious about if I should condition for the tank volume to be on the safe side in the long run.. I use Safe now though.

20 gallon - Sulawesi Golden rabbit snails/Japanese Trapdoor snails/RCS/Marbled crayfish tank
55 gallon - Rainbowfish Dutch scape low-tech planted tank

250 gallon - Community Tiger Oscar/Red hook silver dollar/Silver dollars/PB Jack Dempsey/Clown loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Bala shark Monster fish tank
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I see. I think I will start doing enough for the whole tank, although it could just be written on the instructions to make you use it quicker, who knows. Better to be safe then sorry until I know for sure. I might buy some Seachem Prime as I do hear a lot of good reviews.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 07:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (150/100%)
Sounds like great idea. I think if new aquarists are to start cycle their tanks, or currently in the midst of it, it's especially a good idea to dose full tank volume to make sure the nitrifying bacteria are only harmed very little to none.

20 gallon - Sulawesi Golden rabbit snails/Japanese Trapdoor snails/RCS/Marbled crayfish tank
55 gallon - Rainbowfish Dutch scape low-tech planted tank

250 gallon - Community Tiger Oscar/Red hook silver dollar/Silver dollars/PB Jack Dempsey/Clown loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Bala shark Monster fish tank
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It always comes down to what we each feel is important.
But then as we start this hobby most don't know what is safe and what we can ignore. Who shows up most often in the fish postings with sick fish? The new folks, in most cases. So while we can each adapt the rules as we see fit, it seems logical and prudent to me for us to follow the directions until we get a bit of experience and can see what works.
If you've ever taught somebody to drive you will see that there may be times to ignore the rules but not when you are learning how to drive.
You can get away with totally ignoring the water treatment if you know how to deal with sick or injured fish and ammonia spikes. But then if you have spent lots of time and lots of money to get nice tank equipment, fish and plants, would you really want to ignore something so simple as doing water treatment the right way?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 12:09 AM
Algae Grower

I dose my 65 gallon as a full dosage with Prime because I'm using a python and am directly adding from the tap. When using a bucket for my 10 gallon tanks I dose the new water because it is controlled. This has been working well for me.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

When I top off (usually less than 10%) I do not use dechlor. That small level of chloramines does not seem to bother the fish.

When I can watch the water going in, I will dose small amounts of dechlor right into the flow. I have done really big water changes this way, with a constant flow in and out at the same time. I have gauged how much water is coming in per minute and dose just a bit more dechlor than that much water needs.

When I do a water change using a garbage can and pretreating I will treat for the volume of water in the can.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode