How often do you normally add Searchem Prime - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How often do you normally add Searchem Prime

Just wondering how often should be adding it. All my other chemicals have decent instructions on how often but prime doesn't that i could see. Just trying to figure some stuff out. My other chemicals are special blend and fluval cant remember the name on it but its the red bottle for bacteria growth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 03:03 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
The only time I add prime is in the middle of a water change..
Since it is a De-clorinater..

The Fraternity of Dirt #164
I'm so crazy I use Sunlight!!
RAOK CLUB #149
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 03:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
+1, I generally only add it to treat new water during water changes, and only enough to treat the newly added water. (ie: if I'm changing 15 gallons of water in my 36 gallon tank, I use 1.5ml of prime)

Prime is not a fertilizer or maintenance chemical. You positively should NOT dose prime without a reason, as it does reduce oxygen content somewhat.

That said, you can dose prime to detox ammonia if you have an ammonia spike. However, this use should be considered "emergency" not "preventative. Regardless, you should also be doing a partial water change at that point, and that means you'd be dosing prime as you would any other water change.

Prime also has metal detoxifying properties, but this also should only apply to new water (ie: copper from your pipes). If there's something in your tank leaching toxic metals into the water, remove it, don't keep re-treating it with prime.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 03:12 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don't use it right now, but the only time I used it before was when I was doing a water change or if my tank was having some kind of weird spike and I needed a stop-gap until I could change the water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ya thats when i do it just during water changes. Just asking because had good water for almost a year then all of sudden everything actin up lol. So just double checking everything. Going to do a water change tonight. I got 75gallon tank and normally do like 15g water changes on it
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 03:43 PM
Algae Grower

Guy at the local fish store mentioned that because Prime binds with ammonia/nitrates/nitrites, it's not the best choice for planted tanks... removes plant nutrients. What do you guys make of this?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 04:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDart View Post
Guy at the local fish store mentioned that because Prime binds with ammonia/nitrates/nitrites, it's not the best choice for planted tanks... removes plant nutrients. What do you guys make of this?
Nahhhhh..
Op... i will dose it whenever doing any major scape work and excavation. . Just as a precaution.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 04:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDart View Post
That's a bit of leap of logic on the part of the guy at the local fish store.

That statement makes assumption is that it binds them in some kind of permanent way and that they are no longer bioavailable.

The binding is temporary.

"You do understand correctly that Prime removes chlorine and chloramines; and it detoxifies ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. It detoxifies these nitrogenous compounds by binding them into a non-toxic form. They stay bound for about 24-48 hours and then are released back into their original form.

In an established tank, your biological filter should remove ammonia and nitrite quickly. Prime will help keep it non-toxic until the bacteria can utilize it."

http://www.seachem.com/support/forum...ead.php?t=7167
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 04:52 PM
Algae Grower

Good to know. Thanks!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So 1ml every water change is okay amount? My tank is 75gallons.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamus.Flynn View Post
So 1ml every water change is okay amount? My tank is 75gallons.
1ml is the correct amount for 10 gallons of water, so if your water change is 10 gallons worth, it is the correct amount.

If you are changing more than 10 gallons, then you'll need more than 1ml.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 05:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Note that the instructions say that if you are mixing in-tank you should use enough prime for the entire volume.

If you are changing 10g using buckets, then 1mL of prime into the bucket of new water is sufficient.

If you are using a hose and putting tap water directly into the tank you need to treat the entire 75g.

I've always gone fairly light on dechlorinator and haven't had any problems. The recommend dose is probably enough to neutralize very high levels of chlorine and my local water doesn't seem too bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ya i use a garden hose i got hooked up to water tap in the laundry room. Its cold water so i take time putting water back in so dont freeze the fish since i just do like 10 gallon changes. If do bigger then ill use bucket n warm water or take all day to add all the water again.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 06:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 691175002 View Post
Note that the instructions say that if you are mixing in-tank you should use enough prime for the entire volume.
And it is common community advice to ignore this instruction, and dose based on the water change volume, regardless of in-tank or out-of-tank change. Take either advice as you see fit.

I personally change with a tap-to-tank changer, so I do in-tank dosing. I dose based on the water change volume, not the tank volume when doing this. It hasn't bothered my fish or biofilter as far as I can tell.

That said, I suppose this leaves a bit less margin for error if your local chlorine level is on the high side.

If you want to be cautious, follow the tank-dose schedule.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 06:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I agree with mattinmd. Good advise there.

I also use a tap-tank system. I have added a pump to the faucet end. That way I don't waste as much water since I pay for that and the sewage fees. Using the tap rather than cold water allows for temperature adjustments. It's well worth the small investment.

If you don't mind wasting the water you can build a cheap python. A Walmart gravel vacuum, a water bed filler and some tubing and you're done. If you want a pump just use a "T" for water supply and the pump side with valves. Water changes are so much easier when you have the proper tools.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode