Parameters, plants and shrimp options? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question Parameters, plants and shrimp options?

Different tanks 20 gal high & 30 gal high.
Inert sand and black diamond substrate.
Current USA Planted + LED lights - getting algae growth, guessing, I'm good. Low light, I'm happy at present.
Osmocote plus root tabs for fertilizer
8.4 pH from local water supply
GH 2 drops 36 ppm
KH 28 drops about 450(+) ppm
Tanks a little higher than tap, but they match on my new kit.

From what I have read, this is softened water. I have contacted the water company to confirm.

Current tanks have platys, a molly, and paleatus cories. All are doing well.

Plants are mixed bag. I've melted 2 orders of plants and trying to get some to start growing. Currently, guppy grass is doing well, after 6 months it is growing. Anubius, Java fern are hanging in there. Ludwigia was doing well until I left on vacation and left the light off for 3 days. I hope it will come back.

Monitoring the latest plants. Hornwort, Bacopa M and Sunset Hygro.

Fertilizers:
Plants did not and do not show deficiencies. Just melted. Do I need micros since this is softened water? I am reading Diana Walstad's book but don't want to lose any more plants. How often do I need to add more Osmocote plus? Monitoring plants, it looks like every 4 months, but I am not heavily planted. Should I consider dosing micros? macros?

Water parameters:
Is there any reason neocaridina shrimps won't live? breed?
The softening process removes the GH. Do I need to be concerned about increasing the GH to successfully raise shrimp? Not understanding the mineral stones. If using RO water for filling the tank, I understand. But for tap water?

I am working on growing the plants out with the fish and plan on moving them to one aquarium and turning the 20 gallon into a planted shrimp tank in the spring. Reading but not understanding all items yet.

Thanks for the help! RUNuts

Tags
high ph, parameters, shrimp, softened water

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode