Quick question about EI dosing and when to increase - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quick question about EI dosing and when to increase

Guys/Gals..

When I started my tank back in March.. I found a dosing chart for 75 Gallon tank, etc and started my dosing schedule.

Things worked fantastic and the plants grew like crazy..

Fast forward to today.. and I haven't upped any of my dosages with the exception of Potassium recently to fix a problem I was having (thanks to Zapins).

My question is this.. should I be adjusting the dosages UP as the plants grow (assuming they consume more) If so, how do I gage how much to increase so as not to do TOO much?

My plants today have kind of "halted" some of them are still doing fine, but others have slowed way down and not as lush as they used to be.. I can only assume I am not giving them enough?

Im sure there are some holes in the info I am giving here..but would love some feedback. Im starting to get discouraged when I see other beautiful tanks and mine seems to be regressing a bit.

75 Gallon Tank
High Tech Co2
EI method ferts (started 3/26/14)
4 Coralife 10k daylight bulbs - High output T5 - 54 watts (48in) 2.88 WPG
Eco Complete Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 03:17 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
My 80 gallon did well at the standard dose for about five months, then started to show deficiencies in about six different plants. Just upped the standard EI dose to a 125 gallon tank and problem solved.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 04:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I generally test nitrates once every few weeks and adjust the dosing based on what I see.

If there are zero nitrates, increase the dosage a bit. If they are above 40 then it might be time to back off.

I generally just assume that the EI ratio is similar to what plants use, so I adjust all my dosing based on nitrate levels.

You could also get a phosphate/iron test kit to adjust the PO4/CSM separately if you wanted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks Guys.. I have probably been starving the plants for a few months then.. this is my first planted tank and It never dawned on me until now.. that the fert rates might change.. I'll combine both your suggestions here and see what I can do.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode