Hi phosphates. What to do? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi phosphates. What to do?

Here's the problem. My phosphates in my planted 75 gallon are off the charts. I have tested my self and had the lfs test and they have both been through the roof. My question is how to lower them because the algae is getting out of control. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Any time there is way too much of something in the water, the first and best step is to do a big water change, at least 50%. If you want to you can do another big water change immediately after. That pair of water changes should bring down the concentration of anything in the water to less than a quarter of what it was.

Do you fertilize the tank? How do you do it? Is your tap water high in phosphates (highly unlikely in the USA)? Did you calibrate the phosphate test kit to find out how accurate it is?

Hoppy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I dose excel and iron every day. I use ro water, so it shouldn't be that. I thought about doing like a 50% water change everyday for about a week. Maybe that would do it?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 04:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)
My phosphates are 5ppm+ and I have little to no algae. That is not the root of your algae. What are your lighting parameters? How many hours per day? What other dosing other than excel and iron do you dose?

---------
My tank:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Photography Website (my other hobby)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
"Through the roof" means what? Anyway, here's a WC method that I have used that will take a parameter from 100% down to 5% in no time flat:

How to Reduce High Toxic Nitrates Quickly & Efficiently

The article is about nitrates, but the math is the same for anything else also....

The bigger problem is: With RO water---where is the P04 coming from....?

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Don't downplay the importance of calibrating your test kit for phosphate. And, don't assume a LFS has calibrated its test kit either - they haven't. The test kits we use are cheap, easy to use, and not very accurate. They also have limited shelf life. Even new phosphate test kits can be way off in their readings.

You need to make a water solution with a known concentration of phosphate in it, and use that to make sure your test kit is giving meaningful results. Here is a basic primer on making solutions with known ppm of nutrients in them: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_p...osage_calc.htm

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode