Fert containers ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Fert containers ?

Yea I know I'm being cheap on this one.
That being said: What do you keep your ferts in ?
Those plastic zip lock bags only last so long before they stop closing air tight.
I bought 7 glass jars from Hobby Lobby while they were on sale but found out that they are not completely air tight. Had caked nutrient in one the next day.
I've heard that the CSM+B especially needs to be in an air tight container.
And just got finished looking on-line for some but $2.00 each for what looks like the better glass ones @ 3 Oz each.
Guess I could just use what I have on all but the CSM+B and maybe the FE as it's a fine powder.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 03:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Why not keep the ferts in the bags they are delivered in?
I have done so for years with no issues.

Regards,
Aquaticz
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

If you say "no issues" I'll take your word for it. I thought they would stop closing air tight after a few uses.
Thanks...

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 04:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I bought some small plastic containers from the dollar store, 6 in a pack with lids for like $2. Their small, I fill em up, mark on the lid which fert it is with a sharpie marker and leave the rest in the bag squeezing the air out before I seal it.

I get some clumping especially with the CSM+B but it breaks up easily, usually by vigorously shaking the container before I open it to scoop the ferts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 04:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I just double zip lock mine and then place them in a rubber maid tub from walmart. If they get hard, little roughing and it will break down again. I've kept the same ferts for 2 years and just made another batch thursday. CSM and kno3 were a bit hard, but I just rubbed the bag between my hands and broke up the clumps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I store in the zip lock bag but use good sized fish oil capsule, vitamin bottles and the like to store what I dip into weekly. So long as they hold about a pound of powder I am happy with them. The phosphate cakes a little but is easy to break up. My micros haven't ever caked. Not going to trust zip locks and me on a weekly basis. Even my large aquarium takes months to get through a pound of nitrate!

Then I am currently using take out type salad dressing cups for daily dosing but these were a lucky thrift store find and meant for reuse. I used to use a screw together pill minder but it didn't hold quite enough for my big tank's daily needs. The screw threads are lousy on them and they are made of brittle plastic so didn't work all that well anyway. As in I drop and they crack and chip.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 10:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I store my ferts in cheap Rubbermaid type containers. They are about 2 inches deep and around 6 inches square. Holds about a pound of dry ferts each. The snap top lids keep the contents pretty dry and they stack to store. I put the fertilizer label right inside with the ferts so I don't lose it. Works well for me.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 10:27 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (131/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippos View Post
I store my ferts in cheap Rubbermaid type containers. They are about 2 inches deep and around 6 inches square. Holds about a pound of dry ferts each. The snap top lids keep the contents pretty dry and they stack to store. I put the fertilizer label right inside with the ferts so I don't lose it. Works well for me.
+1. It is also much easier to scoop measurements out of than the bags.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 12:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have re-purposed some food containers. I think they came with nuts in them. I usually get the honey roasted sort of nuts, so the containers need to keep out the moisture. Large mouth makes it easy to scoop out the ferts as needed.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I guess I was trying to get glass ones but it don't matter that much.
Best part is I work at a plastics plant so jars and jar lids are what I make.
Picked up a few lids today/w liners in them. Just need to wait till they run some of the jars that go/w them in natural(color) as it's as close to clear as you will get without using that
hard plastic which actually is clear but brittle. These containers/jars are about 2.25" round and 3.5" tall and the mouth is the same as the rest of the jar diameter.
I think they are three Oz jars.
The tupperware idea sounds good also. But those jars I'm getting will be air tight.
And not so deep that regular measuring spoons won't reach the bottom of them.
Appreciate all the replies. Always looking for exotic when handy is right next door.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode