Removing phosphates from water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Removing phosphates from water

About a week ago I got a green algae right after doing my first water change. There is no fish so I have not added any food to the tank. I decided to look for a water report for the area and found out that they add phosphate. So I was wondering if anyone has had a problem like this one and how are they removing their phosphate from the water.
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 07:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Is it a planted tank? If so your plants need phosphates as well as other nutrients.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 02:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If the phosphate level is too high (perhaps the water company is adding more than you want to have in the aquarium) then you can remove the phosphate with certain inserts you put in your filter.
If you want to remove the phosphate before you use the water in the tank then you would have to set up some kind of prep bucket (or garbage can) to do this. A simple HOB filter on a garbage can, with the media of your choice, can remove the phosphate down to a good level so the plants still get the phosphorus they need.

http://www.bigalspets.com/pura-phoslock-795-g.html

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 02:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I thought I would just insert this quick explanation of why some water companies do it, just for the curious and or concerned:

http://toxics.supportportal.com/link...ing-phosphates

You should first do a phosphate test to determine if you indeed have an issue or if there's nothing to be concerned about. As others have mentioned, it's not necessarily cause for concern unless the levels are off the chart. Just consider that phosphate kits are notoriously inaccurate and tough to read. Investing in a Hanna Phosphate Checker may not be a bad thing to do, for your drinking water as well as tank water. These units are much cheaper per test, and eventually become much cheaper than test kits.........not to mention a breeze to read instead of guessing color shades.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Barley straw is great at removing it look it up there are plenty of articles on using it

http://www.swedesdock.com/pondstrw.sht
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 04:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hello, if the tank is planted you should not remove the phosphates from the water, unless the PO4 level if really really high. It is one of the macronutrients plants need, quite important for plants.

PO4 is often accused of creating algae, seldom the real cause of algae, if at all.

Some people here keeps relatively high levels of PO4 in their planted tank and do not have any algae issues.

Michel.

Plants and algae grower.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 04:35 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
What Michael said, spot on.

Tags
phosphate, removal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode