How to lower a high PH - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to lower a high PH

Have had my fish tank for almost a year now and water always been good but checked water and ph was at like 8.8-9.0 all of a sudden. And my nitrates and nitrites were very low. Person at perstore said to add more driftwood to lower the ph. Any other ways then that? I already got some driftwood in my tank so was wondering and any idea why would all of sudden go so high? I only got like 18 small tetras in my tank right now and 2 plecos and 2 yoyo loaches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 08:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your water company could have changed how they treat the water
Peatmoss will lower your ph too
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ya that could be. tank has always been good water levels till now. any other way then peatmoss and driftwood?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You could mix R/O water into your source water that will also lower ph also almond leaves
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If the water company is adding something that keeps the pH up (commonly done to protect the pipes from acidic water) I would try to find out what it is, and see if you can remove it.

You can run some tests with peat moss and tap water, see it that helps.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 10:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

More likely to be a problem would be the minerals that were doubtless added when your water company increased the PH of your water...excess minerals in the water can play havoc on the health of soft water fish, and no amount of 'Reduce PH' chemicals will solve that problem. RO or rain water are the only ways to really deal with this, and since your tank sound like it is fairly large you may want to go with RO instead (especially if you live in an area with bad air pollution).
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ya my tank is 75 gallons going to be making a 200g soon so ill have to figure out this problem. I am thinking a r.o water system be the most simple. I live in the middle of nowhere. our water use ot be good but town wouldn't know how to use our new water filter system if somebody slamed them in the face with the manual. where would I go to get a r.o system? and around how much are they?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 12:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

R/O systems range widely in price depending on how many gallons of water they can produce a day as far as buying one alot of places carry them online fish websites , amazon, eBay , I even think lowes and homedepo might carry them I don't run one my self if I was you I would maybe make a post under the equipment section and ask who's running what type and how there are sorry I couldn't be of more help , also I'd call the water company in your area and request a water report it's free I've had it done at 2 locations I've lived when u get the report and see what they dose with it will make it easier to fix it if you deceide to go that way

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode