Pulling Fenbendazole Out of Water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Pulling Fenbendazole Out of Water

I have an aqueon 10 (mechanical) and a finnex px360 (bio) running on a 20g long. I accidentally OD'd fenbendazole to the point where it is on the verge of killing my 3 nerites and 1 poso snail. I did a 25% water change and threw a new bag of activated carbon (7 tablespoons) into the aqueon. I had.125 grams of fenbendazole, after this water change I should have .1 grams of it left. What else do I need to do to make sure my tank is snail safe again? How many more water changes do you guys think I need? Should I put more carbon? Hopefully my snails can recover, because a LFS ripped me off on the poso and wouldn't accept returns. They think 5ppm nitrates means bad water quality -__-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp#562 2213
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would do a lot larger than 25%, (2 x 50% perhaps 12 hours apart) and repeat the carbon.

The current carbon will get full pretty fast.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I moved the snails to a hospital tank. I'll go ahead and try the 50% 12 hrs apart.

Eheim Pimp#562 2213

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 02:45 AM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
Yeah, larger water changes are needed. I'd just flush it all out, you don't need it in the water for that long to kill off hydra or other pests, just a few hours at the normal dose. At a higher dose it will do its job much faster and will be more potent.

Even at the normal dose Fenben is safe to leave in the water for short term exposures (a couple of days) but I've read a few studies where they dosed it and about a week or two after leaving it in the water it killed half of the test fish.

Zapins
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 04:36 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
I would do a lot larger than 25%, (2 x 50% perhaps 12 hours apart) and repeat the carbon.

The current carbon will get full pretty fast.
Probably this would be the best procedure at this point.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 01:18 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Why not 100% change? Just perfect the new water parameters before the move. Bacteria stay on all the surfaces and substrate, not the water
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 01:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If the livestock has been moved, then go for a bigger water change, if you want. I have often seen the suggestion for 50% water changes, repeated, and wondered if there might be a reason.

Livestock in the tank is the most obvious thing that came to mind.

But a more complex idea came to me, also.

I wonder (seen no studies) if the stuff you are removing (fenbendazole in this case, but could be anything) might stick to the surfaces (surfaces are covered in biofilm, and are slightly sticky) as you drain the tank, so that going with a bigger water change is actually counter productive. More than 50% often exposes a lot more hardscape and plants.

If the chemical stayed in the water (was not given much of a chance to stick to the surfaces) then 2 water changes of 50% actually remove more of it than a 100% water change which exposes a lot more surface area for stuff to get stuck on.

2 x 50% actually results in a 75% water change.

In this case we are discussing a medication.
For medicine to be effective in an aquarium it needs to be sticky enough to stick to the target organism, even if the target is not so sticky.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have baby RCS in the tank. There's no way I could pick them all out. Regardless, looks like the stuff's out of my water. I threw in some spare mystery snails in there and observed them carefully for 3 hours. All they've been doing is zooming around, eating, and pooping. The water changes stressed out and killed one of my berried RCS . I don't think the nerites will make it, but I hope the poso snail does.

Eheim Pimp#562 2213

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode