why is my tank cloudy???? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
why is my tank cloudy????

The other day I had my water tested at the local pet store and they said my pH was "exceedingly high". So they suggested I use the API Proper pH 7.0 so I purchased it. I read/followed the instructions, used 1 scoop per 10 gallons (7 scoops) later my tank is cloudy. It wasn't like that at first. It hadn't changed till the next morning and has been like this for a few days.. WHAT'S GOING ON???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141125_142845.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	395626  

Last edited by launiSHAM; 11-25-2014 at 06:37 PM. Reason: added image
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 06:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Folks on this forum generally frown on trying to adjust your pH, as this usually leads to more headaches than good.... Do you know how high "exceedingly high" is?

The cloudyness is probably the ingredients of the proper pH are reacting with stuff in your water forming a precipitate. It is phosphate-based buffer, so it is probably precipitating calcium phosphate or the like.

Also, is your tank planted at all? Proper pH is not plant compatible according to API's website..

"Do not use in aquariums containing live plants. "

http://www.apifishcare.com/product.p...1#.VHTXYMncNdI
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile Not For Planted Tanks

Hi,

The haze is the result of the API Proper pH 7.0. Wait a day or two the floc will filter and fall out. You are also raising the general hardness (GH), significantly.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Do you know your pH, KH, GH, temperature so forth?

Respectfully,
Joe
FBTB

If your Guru tells you otherwise and you are true believer that is okay I will not argue the point.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I pretty much limit what I say to things that anyone can easily verify from recognized references or by direct observation. If it is my opinion I say so.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 12:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Ditto:
Do not listen to the people in the stores. All they know is how to sell you stuff.

Get your own test kit and research your fish.
Find out the range of acceptable water parameters for the fish, starting with GH (not pH) and test the tap and tank to see if it is already in that range.
GH, KH, pH of both tap and tank.
Repeat the pH test of the tap water: First test right out of the tap and the second on some tap water that has been sitting for 24-48 hours.

Post the results here, and we can help you make adjustments, if any are needed.

Is that a juvenile Oscar?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

They said my pH was a about a 10. As far as gH I don't know what it is but I'm going to order a water test kit. Its not that I was trying to achieve anything in particular, I was told I needed it in order to bring down my pH levels because it wasn't safe for my fish & turtle. The fact that they know me pretty well and all I have going on with this planted tank project, I can't understand why they would suggest the product. I had read it and brought it to their attention, the only thing I was told was to remove the carbon from my filtration system. They had yet to stir me wrong until now but it's to late for regret, I just hope it won't affect the substrate (this stuff Is to expensive to start over. But yes it is a juvenile albino Oscar. Is there anyway I can speed up the process of getting rid of the cloudiness??

And my temperature is set to 75 and I don't know the kH either

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-27-2014 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Back to back posts
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 06:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I question your LFS's test accuracy or the sample integrity... 10 is around the pH of a fully saturated solution of baking soda, that's absurd. That water would be undrinkable.

A pH of 10 should be quite lethal to fish, quite probably quickly unless the fish were already aclimated to a pH somewhere near that before being introduced.

Quickly changing from 10 to 7 should be even more lethal, to make that much change safely would take 10 days (assuming 0.3 units of pH per day safe maximum).

How long has this tank been going? How long have fish been in it?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've had set up the tank close to a month ago and introduced the fish and turtle about a week after set it up.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 02:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I highly doubt your oscar has survived for 3 weeks in pH 10 water.

Perhaps someone more familiar with oscars at high pH's can chime in, but it just doesn't seem plausible to me. What I can find on the web suggests oscar fish like pH a tad over 7, but adapt to pH's between 6 and 8 just fine.

Remember, pH is a logarithmic scale, so the difference in alkalinity from pH 10 to pH 7 is 100 times greater than the difference from pH 7 to 8. That's really quite unbelievably high. So high I doubt it is accurate and your fish can be alive.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode