LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dosing daily vs weekly (macro + micros)

- 6-gal Edge
- Seachem Flourish substrate
- heavily planted, at max capacity for fish/inverts
- pressurized CO2 (was previously using Excel)
- stock LED lighting (soon to be upgraded to provide ~3x the light)

Using API Leaf Zone and Seachem Flourish for the macro/micro's in a 6-gal tank. They dosing instructions are weekly or twice a week, but I am making a RasPi controlled dosing setup that can easily do it daily.

Are there any downsides to taking the weekly dose, and dividing it up into 7 days (or 3 days etc)? The logic here is it's less of a 'burst' of ferts, and a gradual addition.

Once these are used up, I'll likely be switching to a PPS Pro dosing regime, but since this is my first foray into a real planted tank I started with these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 05:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
No there wouldnt be any issue in doing that, if anything it may be a little better.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 05:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
When it comes to commercial liquid ferts, there is no "burst" when dosing. Since you're running CO2, your tank would really benefit from a DIY liquid solution using dry ferts. 1/2 to 1 lb of KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4 and CSM + B would last you many, many, many years.

Just saw your edit. Disregard the above.

[ 55g GBR Pair |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| 10g EE Delta Betta | 10g Halfmoon Betta ]

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The 'burst' was referencing adding all whopping 2.5ml at once, vs doing 0.5ml over 5 days a week. Slow and steady vs all at once.

I'm looking the PPS Pro pack (everything you mention + MgSO4) for $30 on GLA, which as you said would last years in this tank The further I get into this, the more I know in the back of my mind a larger setup is probably not too far off, I'm just trying everything on a smaller scale before I go too nutty. Plus nanos are cool

Trying to piece together smaller quantities of dry ferts from other places wouldn't be as cost-effective from what I've found.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 06:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Drop ur micros and macros on different days. Remember excess nutrients will cause problems with algea, so spread ur dosings out for each day of the week. Use a calculater to get u closer to plants needs. Give it a month and see how ur plants do. And adjust amounts a little bit if needed. Sometimes it takes a couple months to see a difference

Warranty not included
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by houbanna View Post
Drop ur micros and macros on different days. Remember excess nutrients will cause problems with algea, so spread ur dosings out for each day of the week. Use a calculater to get u closer to plants needs. Give it a month and see how ur plants do. And adjust amounts a little bit if needed. Sometimes it takes a couple months to see a difference
Sounds easy enough to do with dosing pumps. Just finishing the testing and I can get consistent accuracy with the $12 eBay peristaltic pumps and any length of silicone tubing with the Raspberry Pi. I just doubled the plants in my tank this week (Ludwigia seems too big for a nano, might end up tossing it).
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 11:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Leaf Zone is potassium and iron. I can see the benefit of spreading this out. Iron (depending on the formulation) can get locked up pretty fast. Dosing a smaller amount more often is probably going to make sure there is a more steady supply of iron through the week.

Flourish is Seachem's name for their whole fertilizer line up.
Flourish Nitrogen
Flourish Phosphate
and so on.

If you are talking about Flourish Comprehensive as a source of micros, it is just fine dosed at whatever schedule you want. A week's worth in just one or two doses, or spread it out to daily.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 11:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

dosing

Go to green leaf aquariums .com. They have a pps program I am using and I love it. I have been dosing micros and macros daily at the same time for months and have no algae problems like I use to have.

Last edited by rick dale; 11-22-2014 at 11:26 PM. Reason: add
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick dale View Post
Go to green leaf aquariums .com. They have a pps program I am using and I love it. I have been dosing micros and macros daily at the same time for months and have no algae problems like I use to have.
That's the plan (mentioned GLA above) once these liquid ferts are out. Get the PPS Pro setup from GLA and be set for 4 years
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by houbanna View Post
.....Remember excess nutrients will cause problems with algae, ......
This has been proven to be wrong by many people. Excess nutrients can actually suppress growth of some algae.

Hoppy
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 03:21 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
This has been proven to be wrong by many people. Excess nutrients can actually suppress growth of some algae.
Agreed

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode