Do I have the right calculations? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do I have the right calculations?

I have a 40 gallon tank with 72 watts of CFL and about 2 bps of pressurized co2. I am currently running the co2 and lights for 6 hours a day with co2 starting and ending an hour earlier compared to the lights.

I would say my tank is light to medium planted and I have about 12 different kinds of small fish in there.

I wanted to start dosing fertilizers.

I was going to follow this formula is that the correct one to follow?

40-60 Gallon Aquariums
+/- 1/2 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/8 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/8 (Trace Elements 3x a week)
50% weekly water change

To do the mixes I was going to do 500 ml bottles

Bottle 1 - Trace
I want to target about 1/2 ounce of liquid per dose which would mean I would use 1 tablespoon and 360ml of water?

Bottle 2
I want to target about 1/2 ounce of liquid per dose which would mean I would use a 4 tablespoons of KNO3 and 1 tablespoon of KH2PO4?

Based on my lighting should I really be using 1/4 ounce of the liquid?

Part of my confusion is there is a lot of threads linking to "dead" calculators. I did find one at http://calc.petalphile.com/ but based on 40 gallons and CSM+B with 360ml and 15 ml dosing I would need 28 grams of powder which I believe is 2 tablespoons or double what I calculated. So wasn't sure why there is such a difference.

Last edited by Z-one; 11-22-2014 at 04:09 AM. Reason: added information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 07:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
In the first thread on the Ferts section under "Yet another fert calculator" is what I use. But also on that thread is a "Dosing Regime."

Bump: In the first thread on the Ferts section under "Yet another fert calculator" is what I use. But also on that thread is a "Dosing Regime."

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for the reply. Am I correct that the yet another calculator and the dosing regime give different amounts of dosing?

Also on the dosing regime thread I didn't see anything on mixing with liqudi(besides the csm). Is there a formula for that too?

Thanks

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 08:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Making a solution in water has not sunk into my head yet.Ther are a couple of lists for that and perhaps someone will share one/w you in this thread soon. I have just started using the EI from the Calculater, but only @ one dose of it per week as I am low tech...no added CO2.
After I find which ferts need more of(if any) then I will try to learn multiples/w water for weeks of dosing and more consistency in them.
On the calculator at the bottom where it says "and I am dosing for"
if you set that to "the result of my dosing" it gives you the option to
use tsp. But them you will need to revers engineer what you want by
putting in more or less random sizes of tsp and match the results/w the results you get when you select "EI" on that "And I am dosing for" section.
Just adjust up or down till they match(close as). A small difference doesn't matter as EI is a safe saturation level when used/w the water change it suggest. I just get it somewhere in the left end of the EI color bar part. After you look at it this will "gel" in your mind.
Important info: When it gives the results...it gives a list like K= 4.63ppm.
You need to add all the K numbers from each nutrient that you enter to get their total ppm to match it with the recommended ppm. Not to worry. It has a wide window.
NO3 range 5-30ppm (KNO3)
K+ range 10-30ppm (K2SO4 or GH booster)
PO4 range 1.0-3.0 ppm (KH2PO4)
Fe 0.2-0.5ppm or higher (?) (Plantex CSM +B)
GH range 3 degrees ~ 50ppm or higher (GH Booster)
Typically K(potassium) is gotten from KNO3 instead of K2SO4.
GH Booster contain KNO3 AND you may not need it depending on your water source. But K2SO4 is substituted for KNO3 when you have higher levels of fish which produce more ammonia which the filter converts to nitrates.
The NOS(the nitratres)are not in the K2SO4 but are in the KNO3.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode