Water Perimeters??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water Perimeters???

I'm starting a new tank and I'm confused about the proper water perimeters I need. It's going to be a 3 gal Betta tank? It's empty right now but has been sitting for like a week+.

These are the water perimeters as of now. Sorry I didn't realized that the testing kit I have doesn't test ammonia levels until after I got bought it.

Nitrate 80 ppm
Nitrite 0
pH 7.5 ppm
KH 120 ppm
GH 180 ppm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 07:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
You need to read up on the nitrogen cycle. Without anything in your tank, you are going to get any readings for ammonia and nitrite. The fact that you have nitrate readings means that your water is high in nitrates. Not necessarily the worst thing, but not something that people always get excited about.

Are you only keeping a Betta? After you read up on the nitrogen cycle, you can decide if you want to cycle your tank with fish in or fish out. You'll find people in both camps and they will usually argue with those in the other one. Unless you're running some kind of filter, even an air sponge, you're not going to get the best cycle established because there is very little oxygen and flow in the tank. The bacteria will still develop, but not as efficiently as if you had water flowing through some kind of filtration.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have the Betta but he's in a jar. I got him from a friend who didn't want him anymore. There is a filter running in the tank. I also added a little waste water and fish food to the tank a while ago. I read somewhere that it would speed the cycling process up. I'm adding a air pump and air stone today.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 12:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would rather put the Betta in the tank, not let him sit in a jar.
The jar will build up toxinsm and has no way of dealing with them. The tank will build up toxins, but with some plants and water circulation there is at least some hope that some of the toxins can be handled better. If you need to do a water change on the jar, or on the tank (and you will) it does not matter which you do, it is such a small volume either way it is really easy to do.

Water parameters (note spelling: 'perimeter' is edges of a field, parameter is the correct word here)
Test the tap water. If the NO3 is low, then I would do 90% or whatever you can handle water change to drop the nitrates in the tank. (use dechlorinator if the tap is treated with chlorine or chloramine) Then add the Betta.
If you can get the smallest bottle of nitrifying bacteria that would help a lot. Look for Nitrospira on the label.
Dr. Tim's One and Only, Tetra Safe Start and some others. These will add the right species of bacteria to the new tank so there is only a brief, small rise in ammonia or nitrites.
Yes, get testing supplies for ammonia.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode