What would happen if my co2 work 15 hour in my nano tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
What would happen if my co2 work 15 hour in my nano tank?

Hi
I use 2 bottles diy yeast co2.and i want to put it befor impeller of canister system near 15 hour every day.because im in home just in morning and night and i cant cut it.so co2 rate would be go up so much.its full of plants.in 6 g nano tank.hemianthus cuba/alternanthera/hydrocotyle/christmass moss and10 watt led light with siesta 3 hour morning 5 hour night 4 hour break/and cardinal tetra/red fire shrimp/snail
Is it dangrous for them?what would happen if my co2 system work with that diffuser near 15 hour or more?
Tnx

Last edited by Kavak; 11-19-2014 at 06:00 PM. Reason: A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 08:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
So, if I were you, I would probably try it on a day that I'm home first to make sure I don't come home to a surprise, but you can cause some surface agitation somehow by directing the outflow to the surface or by adding a spraybar to get the excess co2 to gas off. If you have the right amount of agitation, you will cause the co2 to stay steady during the course of the injection. Some people add powerheads for this but in a nano, it might be overkill.

http://www.prirodni-akvarium.cz/en/i...hp?id=en_co2ph

Alternately, I've seen a reactor used in this type of situations to control when co2 is actually being used.

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...ht=co2+reactor
here's a thread of the same with images if you can't see the images in the above thread
http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ctor-w-venturi

The idea is that if you turn off the pump to the reactor via a timer, the co2 will just build up inside of the reactor instead of being mixed into the water and just burp up to the surface safely.

Out of curiousity, how do you cut it off now?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
So, if I were you, I would probably try it on a day that I'm home first to make sure I don't come home to a surprise, but you can cause some surface agitation somehow by directing the outflow to the surface or by adding a spraybar to get the excess co2 to gas off. If you have the right amount of agitation, you will cause the co2 to stay steady during the course of the injection. Some people add powerheads for this but in a nano, it might be overkill.

http://www.prirodni-akvarium.cz/en/i...hp?id=en_co2ph

Alternately, I've seen a reactor used in this type of situations to control when co2 is actually being used.

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...ht=co2+reactor
here's a thread of the same with images if you can't see the images in the above thread
http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ctor-w-venturi

The idea is that if you turn off the pump to the reactor via a timer, the co2 will just build up inside of the reactor instead of being mixed into the water and just burp up to the surface safely.

Out of curiousity, how do you cut it off now?
Tnx alot.
I decide to buy small internal filter and instal it with timer.
But 1 question.isnt better to connect co2 to air stone and put it befor impeller?
Would it make noise?

Last edited by Kavak; 11-20-2014 at 06:23 AM. Reason: A

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Would it make noise?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 09:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Well, that's a different way of approaching it. If you look at the reactor pictures in the third link, you'll notice that the co2 is injected after the output of the pump. The output current is supposed to twirl the co2 bubbles while their natural tendency to float up and the sponge keeps them in that section until they get fully mixed into the water before it gets out of the bottom. There'll be some minimal amount of bubbles escaping, sure, but the bulk of them should get mixed in. The venturi loop is only in case there's too much buildup, and then some goes back to the input impeller of the pump. So, yes, there's probably noise at that point, but not all the time.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 11:48 PM
Algae Grower

Make sure there's no sponge material to absorb most of the co2.. You want it going straight into water after bio balls ideally.. Air always wants to travel up.. If you have bio balls with water current going down it'll force the co2 gas down (against its density desires) and fully diffuse with bio balls.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode