Help Identify Please! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help Identify Please!

Hello I am new to this site and have found some great info
But i just bought a tank of craigslist and it had a few broken pieces of a live plant in it. The plants roots a growing pretty well. I just cant seem to figure out the type of plant it is, PLEASE HELP! thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141117_135232.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	392810  

Name:	IMG_20141117_135130.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	392818  

Name:	IMG_20141117_135236.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	392826  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 09:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It is an Anubias, not sure if it is 'nana' or not.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

its just so small so i couldnt tell haha thank you so much! Another question, I should tie this to some wood or rock correct? and if so is hemp string ok to do so?

Bump:

Bump: the tank i got also came with a few other plants i was wondering if you could identify? My camera on my phone isnt the greatest and ive been tryin to look them up all day so i think i have an idea of what they are but would like an opinion by someone whos got a more knowledge on plants.

Bump: thanks if you can
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20141111_125730.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	392850  

Name:	IMG_20141111_125726.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	392866  

Name:	IMG_20141111_125721.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	392874  

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 11:03 PM
Algae Grower

The grassy looking ones, may be valisneria of some kind, or possibly one of the narrow leaf sword plants.. it's bit hard for me to see details. The broader leaved ones, I think, are also some kind of Anubias. There are several types, and telling them apart is not always easy. Slow growers, and yes, should be tied to rock or wood. String will rot eventually, best to use poly thread or fish line.

The one in the middle of the last pic looks like it might be a crypt of some kind.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
(first post photos) It looks like anubias nana petite variegated/marbles ..or you have some seriously nutrient deficient leaves-the light ones-anubias rhizomes should not be so yellow looking... but if it is marble/variegated you're very lucky! For that many leaves you'd probably pay over $150 from a seller. Can you put it by a penny or other small object to use for measurement comparison, it may also be narrow leaf or micro depending on leaf overall size.
Anubias does best tied to something (wood, rock, lead-less plat weight) and placed in the tank. Do not bury the rhizome (horizontal part that leaves and roots grow from) in the substrate, it will rot and die. Keep the rhizome above the substrate and ti will do fine (you can bury the roots if long enough and let the rhizome float just above the gravel). Its a slow growing, undemanding plant that can live in petty much any tank condition (low tech-light to high tech-light). Because its a slow grower its leaves can be more prone to getting algae on them but its very tolerant plant to bleach or peroxide dips used to kill/remove algae.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode