Best Fertilizer? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Question Best Fertilizer?

What is the best brand of plant fertilizer in your opinion. I want one that has all the necessary nutrients. (I don't want to add potassium, calcium, phosphate, ect all separately) I need both liquid and root tabs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi fishyfishy101,

If you are doing high light with CO2 then DIY are your best choice. If you have lower light / no CO2 Seachem Flourish Comprehensive and Flourish Tabs have worked well for me.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 07:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
That's very open to interpretation. It's like asking what is the best car.
You need to describe your environment.

In my case, my fertilizer is fish food. For other it will be something else.

|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi fishyfishy101,

If you are doing high light with CO2 then DIY are your best choice. If you have lower light / no CO2 Seachem Flourish Comprehensive and Flourish Tabs have worked well for me.

I have LED lights and will be doing no co2
PS cool tank
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 07:34 PM
Planted Member

The best effective/cost combination would be dry ferts (macro and micro package) from green leaf aquariums. It's like, $30 or so shipped, and it lasts forever.

Mix the dose you want in a cup of water, and pour it in.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guck View Post
That's very open to interpretation. It's like asking what is the best car.
You need to describe your environment.

In my case, my fertilizer is fish food. For other it will be something else.
I am turning a reg tank into a planted tank, so my substrate is only sand. I have ordered but not received - rotala colorata, stargrass, ludwigia repens, and multiple short grasses
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 08:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfishy101 View Post
I am turning a reg tank into a planted tank, so my substrate is only sand. I have ordered but not received - rotala colorata, stargrass, ludwigia repens, and multiple short grasses
Ah such a lovely opportunity to start a dirt tank
My dirt tanks are dirt, go figure, capped with sand. No CO2, LED lights (Fluval full spectrum). I have Ludwigia repens, Rotala rotundifolia and others.

|
|
|
|
|
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 04:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
+1 on dry ferts you mix yourself as the best option. Cheap, easy once you get your head wrapped around dosages and easy to adjust for the needs of your actual tank. There's a number of places that sell a fairly standard pre-mix of dry fert macro/micro's if you want it even simpler.

For premixed liquid, I've been very happy with Pfertz's macro, micro and potassium (my tank's a potassium hog-your's may not be) and their root tabs are pretty much equivalent to seachem's. I've only moved away from Pfertz due to the cost and need to fine-tune the mix as I've moved several of my tanks up to moderate lighting and added a variety of more demanding plants.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 01:45 AM
Algae Grower

Get the premixed dry ferts from nilocg on this site. Saves time and hassle of mixing/measuring etc and easier to dose as well. He has both EI and PPS Pro versions.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 06:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I agree.... 4 small bags of dry ferts cost me maybe $60 including shipping, will last from 2-20 years.... Even factoring in the cost of the +/- 0.01g scales, still way ahead (and the old chemist in me loves making up the solutions).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode