Can you OD Fertz? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can you OD Fertz?

And if so what would the expected outcome be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Monster plants! Kidding, was curious about that myself.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (101/100%)
How much of OD? A little of OD won't hurt. The more of OD can raise high TDS, high NO3, imbalance between light, fertz and CO2...what else?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Of course it is possible to OD fertilizers... and massive overdosing can be disastrous...

Dump a pound of KNO3 into your tank and it will kill every moving thing in the tank, assuming you don't have an a rather large tank (over 100 gallons). It will probably also kill every plant too at that kind of dosage (nitrate does burn plants if you massively OD it).

Of course, a pound of KNO3 in 100 gallons of water is 733ppm of nitrate... quite a bit over the 7-25ppm or so that gets dosed as fertilizer...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I doubt he meant huge amounts but maybe say double the EI dosage.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Understood, I felt folks had already covered the minor overdose cases pretty well..

I just wanted to illustrate that if you go completely crazy fertilizers become poisons...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 09:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Too much of anything is a bad thing so I feel you there. Well for most things.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
If you have more ferts than your plants can use then nature is going to create something that can. That usually in the case of a tank is algae.

The wheel turns.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Fert OD = Algae.

How much to OD...well depends on your tank size and tank plant mass. I overdose my tank because I have a lot of plants even tough it is a tiny tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 12:21 AM
Planted Member

Dosed EI for 80 gallon heavily planted. Worked good for about five months, then half a dozen plants began showing nitrogen deficit. Now dose for 125 gallon, problem solved.

Last edited by johnpfaff; 11-15-2014 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Remove bump
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Over dosing fertilizers does not cause algae. Many, if not most of us use the EI fertilizing method, which almost always involves dosing more than the plants use. As long as you are not grossly overdosing, and you change around half of the water in the tank every week or so, you should see no bad effects.

Hoppy
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

That is what I thought.

Was trying to avoid a cause and effect scenario.

I'm dealing with cloudy/possible green water scenario (and in case Paul sees this no I haven't gotten a UV Sterilizer yet).

It really started once I introduced seachem iron and excel dosing to my tank. I am a firm believer in science and not buying into effect due to proximity cause situations.

Good to hear the ferts likely aren't the problem.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 09:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
The main thing is to have balance. Too much of this or too little of that can throw a tank off balance and you in a battle with an issue. Too many factors usually to just assume the root cause. The problem has to be identified and addressed at its source. This creates your balance. Any excess nutrients if not removed from the water column will only aid in algae growth. Any nutrients deficiencies if not added to the water column will only aid in algae growth. The plants will be limited in what they need. Being limited, will cause the algae to loose its foothold to out compete algae.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes but I know CO2 is my limiting factor.

So what I have to do is dial back to find where my other parameters can best match my lack of CO2. It least that is how it would seem to me.

I'm certain I need to continue the potassium as I've seen those deficiencies in my plants.

Other ferts I'm not as certain on, just thought I'd add them to see what it did to growth.

Now I'm going to dial back ferts and lighting (Went down to a 6 hour photoperiod instead of 7) and see if I can get back to a more clear water.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 01:45 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (131/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Citrus View Post
It really started once I introduced seachem iron and excel dosing to my tank. I am a firm believer in science and not buying into effect due to proximity cause situations.

Good to hear the ferts likely aren't the problem.

Seachem's iron is notorious for clouding water, especially if you dose in on same day as macros (N,P,K). I believe phosphate is the main thing it interacts with. Someone else can explain it better than me, but it has to do with chelation, and also the PH of your water affects the degree to which it happens.

Back when I was still using Seachems liquids, the iron would cloud my water for 5-8 hours regardless. This was on separate days than macros. The effect almost went away when I started real co2. I say almost because it got a lot better, but didnt go away entirely. Ive read discussions where this was likely due to a lower PH from the co2. I use tap water which is normally in the upper 7s, CO2 drops it down into the 6.6-6.7 range.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode