Dosing weekly = iron deficiency? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Dosing weekly = iron deficiency?

If iron binds to phosphate, doesn't that mean that if you add phosphate the day after dosing iron, the iron will be pulled out of the water column for the rest of the week?

Proud member of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile Generally Requires 0.1M

Hi,

No.

Respectfully,
Joe
FBTB

If your Guru tells you otherwise and you are true believer that is okay I will not argue the point.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I pretty much limit what I say to things that anyone can easily verify from recognized references or by direct observation. If it is my opinion I say so.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Hi,

Why not?

Respectfully,
Fishly

Proud member of

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 06:18 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
It's a matter of probability where a molecule interact with another molecule. Probability is high in a 500ml bottle but not so much in a 29G tank for instance. It probably does.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 06:22 PM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
Fe would bind to PO4- but only if the Fe is unbound. If it's bound to a chelator, the chelator would prevent it from binding to PO4-.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 06:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile Ionic Strength

Hi,

Mr. Greens answer is good enough as a way of looking at or thinking about it.

The actual answer has to do with ionic strength, in this case until a certain concentration is reached, 0.1M; in this case, water is strong enough to keep the ions apart (without getting too technical we are talking same range of ionic strength). Probabilities as a practical matter play no role (no smart alecks need apply, talking practical application in our aquariums).

This is why we can use “insoluble” substances (CaSO4 for instance) in our aquariums.

Respectfully,
Joe
FBTB

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcielo lawrencia View Post
Fe would bind to PO4- but only if the Fe is unbound. If it's bound to a chelator, the chelator would prevent it from binding to PO4-.
Hi Solcielo lawrencia, All,

Obviously, the strength of the ligands play a part, but PO4- is really likable. You can try this by making a solution of whichever iron chelates you wish and you choice of phosphates.

In fact varying concentrations, temperatures and pH it is quite easy to see the varying effects.

Respectfully,
Joe
FBTB

If your Guru tells you otherwise and you are true believer that is okay I will not argue the point.

I pretty much limit what I say to things that anyone can easily verify from recognized references or by direct observation. If it is my opinion I say so.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode