Dry dosing low tech - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Dry dosing low tech

I've decided to go dry after wasting my money on Seachem Iron only to find it's worthless at my hardness. I was hoping you guys could look over my plans, see if I need to make any adjustments and help me get going on this. Tank is a low/medium light, low tech 7.5g shrimp tank. pH 7.6, KH 12, GH 12. No plans for CO2, but I do dose Excel daily. I also do not plan to EI dose as of right now since the last large water change I did in this tank resulted in sudden shrimp losses. Correct me if i'm wrong, but it looks like I need:

Potassium Nitrate (KNO3)
Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4)
Potassium Sulfate (K2SO4)
Plantex CSM+B

Should I be dosing Iron DTPA or will the amount in CSM+B be sufficient? The only red plants in this tank are 3-4 stems of Ludwigia sp. "Red". A few of my plants are currently showing chlorisis but maybe the micros will be enough? Also, will I be measuring the dry ferts and dumping directly into the tank or should it be dissolved in tank water then dumped in?

Someone gave me this chart and told me to follow the dosing amounts but instead of 3x a week, dose only once. Does this look good for my setup?

[ 55g GBR Pair |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| 10g EE Delta Betta | 10g Halfmoon Betta ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 12:53 AM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
That's how I do it. Not sure on your iron question though.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Going back a year or so, one of our more experienced members stated that 1/64th tsp of KH2PO4 is actually too much for a 10g tank. Unfortunately it was so long ago that I
don't remember if it related to 3 doses or 1.
The K2SO4 is usually listed as "optional" in a lot of listings, but I use it instead of KNO3
so the nitrates won't raise from the KNO3.
I recently bought some Fe DTPA @ 10% to add to my dosing. In both my 10g tanks I use 1/32 tsp of CSM+B and 1/32 tsp Fe for this reason.
In both tanks there is a cutting of Alternathera reineckii from the same plant.
It is a good red color in one and very dull in the other. Of course the rest of the plants are different in both tanks. But the only difference I can see is that the one where there is good red color has Laterite under the Eco sub. A clay which has a high iron content.
The other tank also has different sub which is plain fine gravel under Flourite.
So far after two months of once a week dosing of the new ferts there is no change in the
Alternathera reineckii .
However: I was using different ferts altogether before... 2ml Flourish comp/3.5ml Tetra
Pride and this had my Rotala having issues of the leaves turning under and the bottom of them was turning yellow...a sign of low iron. This no longer exist.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I passed on the iron as the amount in CSM + B already seems like loads more than what I was getting out of Seachem. Got all the ferts ordered from nilocg and I should start dosing sometime this week. Can't wait to see the improved growth.

Will it matter if measurements aren't exact? I'm finding it difficult to find accurate measuring spoons. The best pair I can find is on Amazon, and reviewers are saying the 1/32 spoon is actually 1/20, 1/64 is actually 1/80 and so on. If so, any recommendations on measuring spoons that are actually accurate?

[ 55g GBR Pair |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-11-2014 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 01:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Well, not really, just a suggestion that it is OK to use larger spoons, make your own liquid and dose it out over a couple of weeks.
So instead of needing such tiny spoons for daily dosing you would use a spoon that measures about 6 times as much. (If you are using the EI method, with every-other-day dosing.)

You could mix up enough for all your tanks in one bottle, then dose each tank in just a few minutes. I find that is easier than trying to measure out dry doses of several different ingredients, a different amount for each tank.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Well, not really, just a suggestion that it is OK to use larger spoons, make your own liquid and dose it out over a couple of weeks.
So instead of needing such tiny spoons for daily dosing you would use a spoon that measures about 6 times as much. (If you are using the EI method, with every-other-day dosing.)

You could mix up enough for all your tanks in one bottle, then dose each tank in just a few minutes. I find that is easier than trying to measure out dry doses of several different ingredients, a different amount for each tank.
I would love to, but all the conversions and measurements make my head spin, lol. I wont be dosing EI on this tank, though the water changes would be simple. Last time I did a large WC I had shrimp deaths. Instead, i'll be dosing once a week only. Ideally, I would like to have a liquid solution and dose with a syringe which is how I have done it with the Seachem line this whole time.

[ 55g GBR Pair |
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 10:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
http://calc.petalphile.com/non-mobile

This calc is a life saver for making liquid fert solutions.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode