Question for the experianced - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question for the experianced

First its cool to find this awesome forum. When I was into reef tanks I used the forums a lot! Now that I have went to fresh water planted tanks I am also in need of help.

Cloudiness Issue Here!

Ok so I'm running a 70G tank. Just set it back up after having it shipped from my last home. This time I want to use quality materials to get this thing nice. I'm running a fluvial filter 406, and the fluvial led lighting system. My substrate is ADA dirt (A lot of it)... I've had the tank going for 2 weeks now. I've been doing big water changes, and I still can't get the cloudiness to go away. I'm using tap water with water conditioners. I don't know if this is the issue or if it's the substrate creating the dirty water. Attached are some pics of what I'm talking about. I am open to 100% of all your ideas to get this tank clear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141106_155029_resized.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	388426  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141106_205847.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	388434  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Cloudy water can be caused by several things.

Ammonia. Though I usually see the bubbles first- bubbles lingering at the surface, not popping.

Disturbing the substrate. For example, when you are filling the tank.

Heterotrophic bacteria. These are not the nitrifying bacteria. They feed on dead things, such as fallen leaves and other things. When the food is gone the population drops, and the water clears up.

pH or mineral issues. Can happen when you are altering the pH in some way. Example: ADA soils remove the carbonates from the water, and this allows the pH to drop. I have not seen cloudy water from this, though. Usually it is the other way: When I add something to raise the mineral levels and pH for certain fish the water is cloudy until the minerals are fully dissolved.

Beginnings of green water algae. Looks white or grey at first. If you have some white floss (polyester quilt batting or similar) you might be able to see the color of whatever it is. Green = algae. Same color as substrate = substrate.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I added some water clear solution, and its working great. I also throw some algae control. Hoping to get crystal clear water soon so I can enjoy the tank Ive been missing.
Thanks

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Be a little careful with relying on clarifiers and/or algae killers... If there's an underlying cause that is still present, these will help temporarily, but after they wear off the problem will return.

Also, some of the algae killers contain some rather nasty chemicals, you definitely do NOT want to be dosing those over and over again.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode