Nano Dosing with Flourish Macros - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Nano Dosing with Flourish Macros

I'm so bad at math it's not even funny, so I'm going to talk myself through this here. If I get something wrong, please correct it in very simple terms. This is for a 5.5g tank (calculations assume 5g to make it easier). I intend to dose once a week after a water change. My targets are based on EI's.

Mg/l = ppm, right?

Quote:
Nitrogen
Beginner dose: Use 2.5 mL (half a cap) for each 160 L (40 gallons).

Expert: The beginner dose raises nitrogen by the same degree that 1 mg/L nitrate would.
2.5ml per 40g = 5ml per 80g = 1ml per 16g. So, about .3 ml per 5g to raise nitrogen by 1ppm. Or 1ml to raise nitrogen by 3ppm.
Target is 10-15ppm, which would be 3-5ml per 5g.

Quote:
Phosphorus
Beginner dose: Use 2.5 mL (half a cap) for each 80 L (20 gallons).

Expert: The beginner dose raises phosphorus by 0.05 mg/L (0.15 mg/L phosphate).
2.5ml per 20g = 5ml per 40g = 1ml per 8g. So, about .8ml per 5g to raise phosphorus by .05ppm.
Target is 1-3ppm, which would be (.05ppm x 20 to get 1ppm) 16-48ml per 5g, rounded to 15-45ml per 5g.

Quote:
Potassium
Use 1 capful (5 mL) for every 125 L (30 gallons).

This dose raises potassium by 2 mg/L.
5ml per 30g = 1 ml per 6g to raise potassium by 2ppm.
Target is 30ppm, which would be 15ml per 5g.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did I get this right? The phosphorus dose seems pretty high. I might mix my own for that.

Proud member of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 04:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
take the math out of your hands, that's what computers are for
http://calc.petalphile.com/en/

Plug in 5g, premixed ferts, then select Flourish (Nitrogen/Phos/etc), and select EI. Traditional EI is 2-4 doses per week, so just multiply what does it spits out times 2 to 4, and that's your weekly dose.

Looks like your calculations were spot on for nitrogen, off on the high end of phosphates, and off on potassium (not that overdosing it matters much)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I was basing my doses on the amount written here. I know it's meant for high light tanks with pressurised CO2, but I wanted to make sure my calculations were for the highest dose I would ever need. My actual dosing will be a half to a quarter of that.

According to the calculator, phosphorus should be 6ml x 2-4 doses a week, meaning a weekly dose of 12-24ml. That would give me 2.6-5.2ppm.

Potassium should be 2ml x 2-4 doses, making a weekly dose of 4-8ml. That would give me 15-30ppm.

Is this better than the amounts in the link?

Proud member of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 11:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Following the directions in the link you posted definitely won't steer you wrong. I think some of the discrepancy is coming from what seachem lists as the dosage of its product, and they may in fact be rounding. The calc I linked (a trusted and verified resource on this forum) states the concentration of flourish potassium is a little higher than what seachem states. If you want to be full-proof, you can use seachem's dosing guide; if you want to save a little money, you can use a more conservative dose like the calc states. Your lower values for phosphate seem more correct; 45ml/week seems too high.

EI is meant to be fairly "bendy" so to speak, at least on the overdosing side. The doses you listed in your second post should work fine for your tank.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

To make it simple, I'm just going to dose a capful (5ml) of each per week. That would give me:
15ppm nitrogen
10ppm or 18ppm potassium
~1.2ppm phosphorus (I might double this one)

Does that sound good?

Proud member of

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode