Micro-Bubbles through my Reactor. How do I stop this? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Micro-Bubbles through my Reactor. How do I stop this?

Hi team. I've been a passive viewer of the forum for years, but now I'm asking for help. I took the video below, which shows my problem. I have a 90 gallon sump tank, set up with the herbie method (quieter with minimal surface agitation). I've kept planted tanks since I was a kid, but right now I'm having an issue with micro-bubbles passing through my CarbonDoser Ext5000 reactor from aquariumplants. They advertise 100% dissolution but I haven't experienced anything like that. Originally using the reactor I was getting many bubbles through my output hoses. I modified the reactor to use a longer internal PVC pipe and added bio-balls much like the Aqua-Medic reactor, and this has cut down on the bubbles a good bit, but still I get the micro-bubbles. I tried using an AquaMedic Reactor 1000, but had the same issues, even worse. My eheim water pump is only actually putting out about 390gph with everything installed. I'm currently running about 2-3 bubbles per second. Not sure what other parameters I need to describe, but in the video you'll see how many micro-bubbles I'm getting. Is this common across all reactors using some decent gph flow rates? I thought about installing an in-line diffuser before the reactor but I'm not sure if that would help.

Are others experiencing this same type of micro-bubble effect through their reactors with comparable flow rates? Anything you can think of to remedy this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9oV...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Calcifer; 11-05-2014 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Link problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No one has any input as to whether their reactor creates micro-bubbles?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 04:12 AM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
The CarbonDoser has a flawed design. It creates a vacuum which actually decreases CO2 dissolution.

You want to increase reactor pressure by restricting flow somewhat.

(BTW, concise posts tend to get more responses.)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 02:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I do see that there is a problem with bubbles but I don't use that reactor and can offer no help. Sorry, maybe not too many use it??
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcielo lawrencia View Post
The CarbonDoser has a flawed design. It creates a vacuum which actually decreases CO2 dissolution.

You want to increase reactor pressure by restricting flow somewhat.

(BTW, concise posts tend to get more responses.)
Thanks, I understand the idea of the flawed design, however I removed the internal pump to the reactor and now it's basically a common Cerge reactor, with a 10" tall filter housing. I can't seem to find the 20" housings to match with this unit. Using the bio-balls like the aqua-medic does, I thought this may help a bit, too. Unfortunately my aqua-medic created even more bubbles. I would reduce the flow rates but my overflow and sump rely on a specific flow rate in order to function properly, so I may tune that and see if it helps.

Lastly, I tried an in-line diffuser today and my tank looks like soda water upon use. Definitely better to stick with the reactor vs in-line atomizer for those with larger tanks looking to avoid the micro-bubbles.

Obviously open to any other ideas that others have used to eliminate the bubbles.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode