Keeping Nitrate Low - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Keeping Nitrate Low

A lot of information, on quite a few plants, indicate that to get great color the nitrate needs to be kept lean,...any truth to this?

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ils.php?id=197

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/plan...ant=Limnophila aromatic

Just a couple of Quick examples I found....

The reason I am asking is, looking at some of the tanks that do full EI fertilization, ....all the plants exhibit great color, without limiting kno3...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 02:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Light plays a huge role. I had 2 aromaticas in 2 parts of my tank. One was getting less light and was green on the top with a hint of pink under the leaves while the other one was a little purple on the top had dark purple bottom leaves was getting full blast of the light @ 100 PAR. I am running 10+ ppm which is no where close to 40 ppm @ nitrate chart but darker than the 10 ppm color.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
A rather interesting, very techincal discussion involving Tom Barr on the topic:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=138098&page=2

And older:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=83997

Tom at least proves that low nitrate is not needed to achieve spectacular reds.

Now, is nitrate shortage a way to stress a plant and bring the reds up? Yes, but only because the plant is stressed and producing less chorophyll, and the plant looks redder. Not really a good way to achieve this, as if the plant were a green one, it would be turning pale from the deficiency. See post #20 in the first thread..

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the links..interesting read for sure. I dose a modified pps pro with no kno3...I was thinking of adding it because of the k...I have been keeping nitrates around 10ish but by the end of the week I haven't noticed it going down...usually around 20ish...Should I add it to the mix? The tank is a 75 gallon, pressurized co2 with rex grigg style reactor,..lighting is 2 ecoxotic e-series with a sat + in the middle with only the reds and blues on..just trying to get the best color I can from the plants....Thanks for your help
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 12:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If the NO3 is between 10-20 ppm, then I would not dose more.
If you need more potassium then try K2SO4.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am adding quite a bit more k2so4 than the original PPS pro recipe calls for. I add 47g to my 500ml bottle and dose 10 ml per day. kh2po4 29g, mgso4 20g, csm+b I add 52 grams to separate 500ml bottle..10ml a day with around 23g of 10% iron chelate...plants do great but I cant seem to get rid of the GSA...I was wondering if adding the kno3 would help or maybe adding more po4..?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode