Just starting high-tech. Fert questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just starting high-tech. Fert questions

A little background - started out with crap lights. Got a better light (Finnex Ray2. Med-High light). Needed CO2 at that point, so did DIY. DIY was a miserable failure resulting in a tank COVERED in BBA. Got pressurized CO2, now realize that I need more fertilizers because the Flourish alone isn't cutting it.

I've read about different dosing methods, and got so overwhelmed that I'm just going to follow the Seachem chart and do water changes on Sundays. :/
I was a little leery of Phosphorus, because I have a little cyanobacteria patch I've been fighting with. Should I lay off the phosphorus for now until I get get rid of it?

Do you think that the fertilizers and CO2 could be causing lethargy in my Emerald Cory's? They were previously really spunky and active, but I've noticed since starting the CO2, they mostly chill out under their log. I miss them scooting around on the ground looking for food.

Following Seachem dosing of Iron, Phos, Potass, Nitrogen, and Flourish, is that a pretty safe amount of everything I need? I don't want to put anything in that isn't necessary or that is going to injure my little buddies. (I love my fish, I can't help it.) I know that every tank is different and has different needs. I was hoping this would be a good maintenance dose. Also, I know dry is cheaper, but I don't have the patience for dry at the moment.

Seachem chart for reference: http://www.seachem.com/support/PlantDoseChart.pdf

Last edited by Laurel; 10-31-2014 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Additions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 06:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Too much CO2 will make fish lethargic. Enough can kill them. If your fish are acting weird when the CO2 is on then you are putting too much in - they can't breathe. How many BPS of CO2 are you running / what size is your tank?

I would dose dry ferts (full NPK and micro) so that your plants are happy. Algae will happen with too much light and not enough CO2 - I always recommend dosing ample ferts for any situation. Liquid ferts is literally just like buying bottles of water that are 1% fertilizers for 20x the cost of the dry stuff you can mix yourself. Ferts will not harm your fish unless you do a ridiculous overdose (like 20x what you should).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's a 40L with a powerhead over the diffuser. Running 2bps under high light. I almost feel like that's not enough. The rest of the fish are active, it's just the Cory's that aren't as perky.
I'll look more into the dry while I'm going through these bottles I have. Measuring out the doses is a little intimidating. Green Leaf (I think) has a good little package for about $30. I think the 4 bottles of Seachem cost me $38 lol.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 08:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

I can probably run 5 tanks for 5 years with $38 of dry ferts. The seachem directions are very mild; the recommended dose gives about 1ppm NO3 per dose.

You can use this calculator to calculate your dosing:
http://calc.petalphile.com/ ( Seachem stuff is under pre-mixed fertilizers)

Depending on what dosing system you chose to use, typically we aim for NO3 levels between 5ppm - 30ppm. Having low or absent Nitrates in the tank is dangerous; your plants will suffer and algae will invade. Unlike ammonia/nitrite, nitrates (NO3) are safe even in higher levels. If you have cyano bacteria, its a good chance your NO3 levels are low for the tank.

You should/can run some surface agitation in your tank to increase O2 levels. Having higher oxygen levels is independent of having high CO2 levels and the fish will generally be happier for it.

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 01:33 PM

Always use a drop checker when using CO2. Tells you at a glance if CO2 levels are ok. Do not relyon bps.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 06:33 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Okay, since nobody else said anything... Petalphile? Really?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Petalphile made me giggle in a "I'm so going to hell for finding that funny" kind of way.

Anyway I have an airstone that I run at night. I turn it off during the day, and the filter outflow is aimed so that it doesn't disturb the water too badly. Barely a ripple. I might downgrade to a small stone instead of a wand so that it's not like tsunami time in the tank 24/7.

Good to know about the nitrates. I was overly concerned at keeping everything as close to 0 as possible.

I'll absolutely look into doing the dry fertilizers when these are done. Research is underway so I don't screw up lol.

I had to trim the Rotala that I got last week. It doubled in size. So I guess I'm doing something right. I think running at least a small airstone will keep the Otos and Cory's happy. I was worried that an airstone would normalize the CO2 levels too much and negate it.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think I'm going to go with this one. The instructions are clear and they give me bottles and measurements. I'm all for that.
http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquari...r-package.html

Last edited by Laurel; 11-02-2014 at 04:19 AM. Reason: additions

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode