Ready made macro suppliment ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ready made macro suppliment ?

Seachem Flourish - micro nutrients

Seachem flourish excel - carbon suppliment

In that sense what are few well known and proven macro nutrients ? what is the equivalent of this in seachem product line ?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

-AqEnthusiast

4ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft (150 L, ~40 G) | EHEIM 2217 | SunSun 110 water circulation | ADA Amazonia | 4x54w GE StarCoat 6500k T5HO 6 hrs photo | pressurised CO2 start stop one hour before photo | CO2 reactor to canister outlet | EI alternate (kno3+kh2po4+k2so4) and (csm+b) | Weekly 50% wc with Seachem Safe | MgSO4.7H2O + CaCl2.2H2O and NaHCO3 at wc to maintain kh gh at around 4 and 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
In the Seachem lineup, they sell Flourish Nitrogen, Flourish phosphorus and Flourish Potassium. 3 separate products.

That said, compared to mixing your own from dry ingredients they are substantially more expensive.

Seachem nitrogen is made from Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) and urea. It is 1.5% nitrogen and 2% potash (K2O). 2L of this mix costs $32 over on Amazon, and provides 30 grams of total nitrogen (1.5% of 2kg). About $1.06 a gram of nitrogen, assuming you get free shipping.

A pound of KNO3 costs $3 (+$6 shipping if ordered alone) over in the for sale area here and is 13% nitrogen. 453 grams * .13 = 58.89 grams of nitrogen. 15 cents a gram of nitrogen, even including shipping. 5 cents a gram if you don't consider shipping costs.

Do you see why pre-mixed macronutrients aren't very popular? Packaging and shipping water around gets expensive.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Totally agree with you matt..

I use dry power solution of this. .

But for my new upcoming tank i was thinking to start with good branded macro and micro as i am afraid my dry powder solution is generating algae..

So i want to start safe and then once the tank is growing well then gradually switch to diy macro micro after a month or so..

-AqEnthusiast

4ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft (150 L, ~40 G) | EHEIM 2217 | SunSun 110 water circulation | ADA Amazonia | 4x54w GE StarCoat 6500k T5HO 6 hrs photo | pressurised CO2 start stop one hour before photo | CO2 reactor to canister outlet | EI alternate (kno3+kh2po4+k2so4) and (csm+b) | Weekly 50% wc with Seachem Safe | MgSO4.7H2O + CaCl2.2H2O and NaHCO3 at wc to maintain kh gh at around 4 and 6

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqenthusiast View Post
But for my new upcoming tank i was thinking to start with good branded macro and micro as i am afraid my dry powder solution is generating algae..
Potassium nitrate is potassium nitrate. It doesn't matter what brand you use, it is still potassium nitrate. Yeah, Seachem includes a little urea, which is mostly to make the nitrogen level closer to the potassium level, but the product is still mostly potassium nitrate.

If your ferts are generating algae, then so will the brand names, because they're pretty much the same stuff pre-mixed for you. They aren't using anything significantly different than your DIY mixes.

Also, the experts (ie: Tom Barr) are repeatedly telling us that nutrients do not generate algae. Lack of plant growth (due to deficiency), or too much light for the amount of CO2 are the primary culprits.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 04:14 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmd View Post
Potassium nitrate is potassium nitrate. It doesn't matter what brand you use, it is still potassium nitrate. Yeah, Seachem includes a little urea, which is mostly to make the nitrogen level closer to the potassium level, but the product is still mostly potassium nitrate.

If your ferts are generating algae, then so will the brand names, because they're pretty much the same stuff pre-mixed for you. They aren't using anything significantly different than your DIY mixes.

Also, the experts (ie: Tom Barr) are repeatedly telling us that nutrients do not generate algae. Lack of plant growth (due to deficiency), or too much light for the amount of CO2 are the primary culprits.
+1. Plus, many think that ammonia has much more effect on algae growth than nitrate, and the urea in seachem's mix will break down to ammonia in the tank. So if your goal is to avoid algae growth, you're better off with diy ferts
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Got it. . Thanks everyone for all the help. . will continue with dry

-AqEnthusiast

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode