pre mixed ferts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
pre mixed ferts

Hi there, The other day I mixed a few seachem products together (seachem iron, seachem potassium and seachem nitrogen and while all these products on their own are clear (albeit coloured) once together the solution became opaque and a large white sediment formed in the container i have them in, now, for a few days i have just shaken the solution and pumped in my desired squirts of ferts (using an old ada bottle) but I'm not a fan of the opaque tinge it gives my tank water and am also, obvioulsy, worried about the safety of my fish, not sure i like them swimming headlong into a cloud of this stuff

could one of the chemistry boffins around here please let me know what process is occuring to change these solution to an opaque silt mixture and give me an idea of the safety of continued usage

any info much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 04:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Generally speaking, mixing iron and phosphate fertilizers will result in a precipitate forming (iron phosphate).

This is why many folks dose micros (including Fe) and macros (containing P) on different days, or at different times of day.

AFAIK the precipitate is safe for your fish, but is just going to act like sand and sink to the bottom. It won't be available to the plants in this form.

Last edited by mattinmd; 10-27-2014 at 04:12 AM. Reason: added safety notes.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 05:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The bottled products are not always the same as the dry (agricultural) ingredients, so there may be more than that going on.
I would keep the ingredients separate, not mix them before dosing.
Once they are squirted into the tank, though, the concentration is low enough that no precipitate should form, and there should not be a cloud.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

much appreciated guys and gals, I will keep my macro's and micros to different days, npk one day, flourish trace and flourish iron the next (lots of red plants)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
You can mix iron in with your micros (CSM+B). Just do iron plus micros one day, and macros on another day. Only two to worry about, so add on alternating days and all is well (and easy).

Note that if you're premixing a large amount (say, more than a 2-week supply), you'll want to keep your micros in the fridge, or funky stuff will start to grow in it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

---------------------------------

|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode