Making excel dilutions - pH & tapwater question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Making excel dilutions - pH & tapwater question

Hello, I was reading this thread [https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh....php?t=732681] and OkeyDokey said that Glutaraldehyde was pH-sensitive.
I have a small 2.5 gallon tank to which I dose API's CO2 Booster. I make a 1:20 dilution of it with 5mL CO2 Booster and 95mL water. I dose 5mL of this to the tank every day

I have been using regular tap water in order to make these dilutions because I haven't gone to the store yet to buy RO/DI water. However, it seems like this might be a good thing since my water has a pH of 7.6 and fairly high KH and GH.
Would my tap water be fine for making these dilutions? Would it be a concern that bacteria in tap water might still degrade the glut?

Thanks ahead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 04:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
RO/DI or distilled water would improve the shelf life of your mix, but you're not storing it for years at a time. You are only making enough of this solution to last 20 days at a time. I somehow doubt that the minor pH difference (7.6 vs ideal 7.0) will matter much over that short a time period.

As for bacteria in the water, there really shouldn't be enough of them to matter unless something is rather wrong with your water supply. Even if you use distilled water that is 100% free of bacterial, you are going to end up getting a few in the container just from air contact (unless you mix in a clean room). Either way we are talking about trivial numbers, not billion of cells.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you! I appreciate your response!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 04:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
When we add Excel to our tank water the effectiveness of the Excel only lasts for a day or so. From that I assume if we dilute Excel with water to any large extent, we are also going to lose the effectiveness of the Excel in a very few days. So, I would never try to make a solution like you are suggesting. If you can't easily use the Excel bottle cap as a measuring device, get a cheap syringe that has ml markings and use that to dispense the Excel into the tank water.

Hoppy
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hey Hoppy. The reason I do that is because I would need to dose .25 ml to my 2.5 gal tank according to the instructions on the back. Will RO/DI water really destroy the effectiveness of the excel? Isn't that what people do with metricide and such? Dilute it?
I could try to measure 0.25mL with my syringe, but it's kinda tough. I thought it would be better to make a dilution and just measure a capful each day to throw in?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 04:49 AM
Planted Member

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode