Starting off with ferts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Starting off with ferts

Hi guys....

I picked up a three pack of Seachem NPK ferts today to go with the Flourish I had, for my CO2 injected tank. No fish at this stage.
Fairly lightly planted by usual standards.
KH 3.5, pH 7.0-7.1 - my reactor has trouble keeping pH under 7.1 during daytime, to work on this soon.... so CO2 maybe 10ppm.
Lights are LED fittings - 2 of these

I gave the tank a full dose of Flourish last night.

Should I start with the recommended dosage in the N/P/K bottles? Or lower to start??

I just got an LED controller today to produce sunrise/sunset and adjust brightness too, I was considering I should cut the midday brightness a bit until I get CO2 sorted - any suggestions there??

I actually picked the Seachem stuff after a fruitless phone search trying to find KNO3 and KH2PO4.... will keep trying so hopefully won't have to cough up for so much all the time! Actually a pharmacist I work with could get pharmacy grade stuff - at $300/lb for KNO3 and $175/lb for KH2PO4 !!

Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 08:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=168153
I'd use the full amount listed as those ferts are very weak.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 08:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile Canít Buy KNO3, "They" Must Have Reason to Fear the People

Hi,

Lightly planted, I would go with a lighter dose, keep an eye on the plants they will let you know.

Respectfully,
Joe
FBTB

Bump: I will go with Raymond S., I forgot the low dose thing... With Seachem

If your Guru tells you otherwise and you are true believer that is okay I will not argue the point.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I pretty much limit what I say to things that anyone can easily verify from recognized references or by direct observation. If it is my opinion I say so.

Last edited by JoeRoun; 10-16-2014 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Raymond S. changed my mind

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Raymond - will look into it, the problem is shipping mounts up when weight goes into several lb.... still might be a better plan than trying to source here! Certainly don't need pharmacy grade stuff....

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRoun View Post
Hi,

Lightly planted, I would go with a lighter dose, keep an eye on the plants they will let you know.

Respectfully,
Joe
FBTB

Bump: I will go with Raymond S., I forgot the low dose thing...
Cheers Joe - I don't think getting KNO3 will be a huge problem here in Australia - the problem is the idiots who answer the phone at most businesses don't have clue as to what you are talking about, or like to provide fishkeeping advice... "Oh, that's no good for fish! - maybe you should try a petshop!"

One local manufacturer was advertising two pack sizes - 10kg and 1200kg! Ordering 1200kg to an urban address might have choppers overhead though!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode