Fert Help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fert Help

Struggling in this area and need some guidance - feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

Ive got Black Beard Algae taking off in my tank instead of the plants. Made a mistake a few weeks back and accidentally put some media in my filter that removes phosphates and nitrates. Yesterday took that media out and did a 50% water change. Before removing the media - phosphate was over 3ppm (test doesnt go higher) and Nitrates were zero. (Did not realize the media removed nitrates - was trying to lower phosphates to get the BBA under control)

Tried using excel since I dont have a co2 system (yet) which made my jungle vals melt ... Now using Co2 Booster - which is working a little not much. Looking into a paintball co2 system within the next couple months but thats for another thread.

In the past I remember dosing separate ferts and not sure where to stock back up. Looks like I need to add Nitrates. What is the best place to get the dry ferts and what is exactly needed? Also how much should I start out with? Nitrates should be 5-10 range right? Right now just dosing flourish and CO2 booster every couple days.

SPECS: 37 Gallon - 30" t5 HO 48W dual fixture - Flourite - plants are swords, vals and some stemmed plants.

Anything else missing or needs attention??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 08:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Check in the fert section. The first thread has a dosing schedual.
I would use one dose of it per week instead of three for your tank.
Using about 8 hrs per day of light I'd try that for 60 days and see if any deficiencies develope.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
AHH - thats is exactly what I was looking for .. not sure how I missed it. Thanks

Already put in an order for the EI package from Green Leaf ... so it'll take a few days to get here. Love their calculators too .... Im thinking I purchased from them years ago.

So start w/ the nitrate once a week and go from there.

My timer for the lights is set for about 10 hours - will adjust that down to 8.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode