Needing a simple fert for nanos - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Needing a simple fert for nanos

My only tanks are a 5 and 7.5. Both are low tech, and while I appreciate the lack of algae, I've noticed that my plants aren't doing as well as they could. There's been slow growth, and in my stems, I'm seeing pale leaves that don't look healthy. Both have inert substrate, and I use Osmocote+ root tabs, but it doesn't seem like enough for the water column-feeding plants.

Is there's a simple (and cheap if possible) fertilizer that would work for me? I'm not interested in mixing my own, and would prefer liquid. I'm leaning towards Seachem Comprehensive, but are there other options?

5 gallon:
-low light
-inert substrate with O+ root tabs
-Mainly crypts, anubias, java fern
-very low stocked, handful of shrimp + 2 livebearer fry

7.5 gallon:
-medium light
-inert substrate with O+ root tabs
-Crypts, dwarf lily, java fern, marselia, rotala
-Shrimp heaven, will have fish eventually
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 01:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Seachem comp is great for micros for nano tanks. It severely lacks in macros though. Maybe get Seachem N, P, K to supplement (although that isn't very cheap lol)

Or mix some dry ferts for like $15 (sorry but I had to)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 01:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Pfertz line. A single pump from each bottle will be all a nano needs. They'll last a very long time.

Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 03:49 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Tropica specialized fertilizer sounds like what you're looking for. One bottle containing all relevant micros and macros. Tough to find in the US though, try E b a y
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 12:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Why don't you want to mix your own? You could make a WTB ad asking for dry ferts pre-measured to make 500ml solutions. Then you could just put the ferts into regular water bottles (macros in one and micros/iron in another) and dose them each once a week three days apart. You could probably get everything for $10-15 shipped.

Proud member of
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Ask niclocg, a member here, this member knows their stuff. They sell liquid ferts pre-made in 500ml bottles ready for you to dose. I have ordered before great person who contributes to the community quite often. Or order dry ferts and mix yourself of them aswell

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 02:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Aquariumfertilizer.com
Macro/micro mix about $20.00 and add maybe 1/8 tsp once a week.
Mix does not have phosphates but fish food might suffice for this nutrient.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 02:43 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TECKSPEED View Post
Ask niclocg, a member here, this member knows their stuff. They sell liquid ferts pre-made in 500ml bottles ready for you to dose. I have ordered before great person who contributes to the community quite often. Or order dry ferts and mix yourself of them aswell

I'm interested too but cannot find a user by that name here.

Spec V
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 02:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Maybe I spelled it wrong, try nilocg just tell him you guys were referred by me and he will help you out Pronto.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 05:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Aquariumfertilizer.com
Macro/micro mix about $20.00 and add maybe 1/8 tsp once a week.
Mix does not have phosphates but fish food might suffice for this nutrient.
I would not suggest the micro/macro mix. Fish food may or may not provide enough phosphate, you really dont know. For about the same price you can get all the necessary ferts separately and know that you are dosing enough. Also, there are times which you need to dose more or less of certain nutrients and with the macro/micro mix you do not have that option.

If anyone has any questions about what or how much to mix for your given tank, I or many others can help you with that, just ask.

Thanks
Colin
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 08:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

^^thanks nilocg knew you could point them in the right direction

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I agree with NilOCG. Using an all in one mix is not the way to go. Do you know your nitrate or phosphate levels? How often (and how much) do you change your water?

Since you're nearing a thousand posts here I' d be happy to help you out. We have to take care of the regulars IMO. PM me and I will send you enough dry ferts measured for your tank so you can see the difference at no charge. I do need the water change schedule and levels to mix an appropriate solution though.

The only thing I ask is if you find them useful you buy from users here. I prefer to support the hobbyists rather than commercial sites.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 01:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Although I like the Pfertz products and have no problem recommending them as it's an easy way to get a reasonably complete set of fertilizers, I've been won over by dry.

I originally bought the Pfertz micro/macro/root tab package and was happy to see darker greens and faster growth. Added potassium when the holes in my java fern pointed to that deficiency. VERY happy with the mix. Only problem? My tank's a potassium hog and I was going thru the stuff waaay too fast.

Last month I ordered K2S04 (potassium) from Greenleaf Aquariums. Didn't come with instructions (of course) but found a couple threads here on TPT listing 'recipes' for the same 500ml bottle my Fertz potassium came in. With Pfertz, being mindful of the cost, I tended to dose the minimum to keep problems at bay. The cost for mixing my own with dry materials, however, is so low that I have no problem dosing to the real needs of the tank--and I'm already showing significant improvement in several plants. Once my macro/micro mixes run out, I'll be replacing them with dry components as well.

The benefits of being able to tailor your ferts to your specific needs really can't be over-stated.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 01:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's members like nilocg and Zorfox that make this community thrive and keep users coming back. Thanks guys for what you do. I appreciate it and I'm sure everyone else does as well

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Why do I want an all-in-one? Because frankly, I have the attention span of a caffeinated squirrel, the spending money of a broke college student, and the storage space of a half shoebox.

I do weekly water changes (40-60%) but I also don't want to deal with dosing minute amounts of x and testing every 5 minutes. My tanks are tiny, usually less than 5 gallons, so it's not practical for me to have pound containers of all these ferts that will take me 10+ years to go through.

For the record though, I'm ordering a mix from nilocg. Looking forward to it!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode