Fertilizer - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fertilizer

Does anyone have a low tech tank and does not use fertilizer for their plant?

Last edited by Jaseduck; 10-19-2014 at 08:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile A Little Somethin' Every Now and Again

Hi,

For quite a while, you can get away with the substrate providing nutrients, especially to root feeders.

A couple of decades ago folks messed about with the no fertz thing, just doesn’t work in real life. Trying to just feed fish can work for a while, but again…

The high nutrient substrate or overfeeding fish just has its own drawbacks.

Respectfully,
Joe
FBTB

If your Guru tells you otherwise and you are true believer that is okay I will not argue the point.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I pretty much limit what I say to things that anyone can easily verify from recognized references or by direct observation. If it is my opinion I say so.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 11:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I did it for a few months in my 55g and growth was abysmal. My wisteria was putting out 2 small leaves per week and the lower leaves died off as the new growth used what little nutrients were available. The plants sent out little to no roots. The first week I added Flourish, roots were rocketing out of all my stems and i've been getting steady growth since.

Also, the below image should speak for itself but i'll offer some explanation. The lowest portion (which isn't showing too well) was growth from the PetSmart tubes. Those three nodes with the smallest growth was growth in my betta tank with no ferts. All the growth above was when Flourish was dosed. Excuse the diatoms, i'm still trying to get a handle on those.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Just get dry ferts, they're cheap and well worth it in the long run.

Go bruins!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 02:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
If you want to see it, I can post a sad picture of my 3 gallon shrimp tank that has been slowly withering away for over a year in my office with zero additives. The shrimp are happy since they have plenty of stuff to eat, but that's about it. I'm removing it Saturday and staring over, this time with ferts and CO2. I could get by without CO2, but I won't ever try zero tech again.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 03:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I think anyone who wants to do planted tanks need to understand that plants eat too in the form of nutrients or C02. Sure you can get by without fertilizing but what's the point of having a tank with struggling and dying plants. I just don't understand the point of it.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 03:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortalMasteryRy View Post
I think anyone who wants to do planted tanks need to understand that plants eat too in the form of nutrients or C02. Sure you can get by without fertilizing but what's the point of having a tank with struggling and dying plants. I just don't understand the point of it.
Yep. I started the no-tech tank around the same time as my high-tech tank, and it's been quite a lesson watching the differences. One is very rewarding and the other is mostly disappointing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode