The Planted Tank Forum banner

Fertilizer

681 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  AnotherHobby 
#1 · (Edited)
Does anyone have a low tech tank and does not use fertilizer for their plant?

#2 ·
A Little Somethin' Every Now and Again

Hi,

For quite a while, you can get away with the substrate providing nutrients, especially to root feeders.

A couple of decades ago folks messed about with the no fertz thing, just doesn’t work in real life. Trying to just feed fish can work for a while, but again…

The high nutrient substrate or overfeeding fish just has its own drawbacks.

Respectfully,
Joe
FBTB

#3 ·
I did it for a few months in my 55g and growth was abysmal. My wisteria was putting out 2 small leaves per week and the lower leaves died off as the new growth used what little nutrients were available. The plants sent out little to no roots. The first week I added Flourish, roots were rocketing out of all my stems and i've been getting steady growth since.

Also, the below image should speak for itself but i'll offer some explanation. The lowest portion (which isn't showing too well) was growth from the PetSmart tubes. Those three nodes with the smallest growth was growth in my betta tank with no ferts. All the growth above was when Flourish was dosed. Excuse the diatoms, i'm still trying to get a handle on those.

#5 ·
If you want to see it, I can post a sad picture of my 3 gallon shrimp tank that has been slowly withering away for over a year in my office with zero additives. The shrimp are happy since they have plenty of stuff to eat, but that's about it. I'm removing it Saturday and staring over, this time with ferts and CO2. I could get by without CO2, but I won't ever try zero tech again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.