EI Dosing Check & Suggestions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
EI Dosing Check & Suggestions

Hi,

I am new to the planted tank and EI dosing and have been reading everything I can but still have some questions and would like those that are more experienced than me to offer their comments and suggestions.

I have a 25g high tank, CO2 24/7, Ecocomplete, Eheim 2213 Cannister filter and 2- Sat+light fixtures with a 7 hour full spectrum light schedule, bracketed by no white and cloud cover modes for about 5 hours split on either side of the full spectrum period. Heavily planted.

My readings are as follows:
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
PH 6.5 ( out of the tap 7.5 - 7.6)
KH - 6d
Gh - 9d
Nitrates 5 ppm after wc, 30 - 40+ ppm right before wc
Water Change - 50% every week.

According to the calculator I am using (Nutricalc) I am dosing for the following conditions:

Nitrate 30 ppm
Potassium 30 ppm
Phosphate 3.0 ppm
Magnesium 10 ppm
Fe 1.0 ppm

This translates to the following amounts mixed with 500ml of water dosed at 3 times per week, alternating Micro and Macro

65g - KNO3
30g - K2SO4
18.5g - KH2PO4
168.5g - MgSO4
23g - CSM+B

My question is first, does the mix look correct. Second, because of the high nitrates I am seeing right before the water change should I cut back on the KNO3 and increase something else, and if so which one or ones and how much.

Sorry for being long winded, just tried to get all the facts out.

Thanks

Ehiem Pimp Club #546
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
if nitrates are too high then yes cut out kno3 and increase k2so4.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipraposo1982 View Post
if nitrates are too high then yes cut out kno3 and increase k2so4.
Thanks, I understand that. What I would like to know is how much to reduce the KNO3 and consequently how much to increase the K2SO4 to maintain proper fertilization ppms

Ehiem Pimp Club #546
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 09:55 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
I would probably just reduce the KNO3 by about 25%. You arent that much over the target level. That should still be plenty of K, but it wont hurt anything to bump the K2SO4 a little bit to make up the difference. How much exactly, Im not sure.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
How many milliliters of the solutions are you dosing? Based on 3 times a week dosing, full EI would be about 3 1/2 ml of all the macros and 6 ml of the Plantex. I doubt you need the MgSO4 with a GH of 9 degrees but it shouldn't hurt anything.

I would also check your nitrate test. You shouldn't be going from 30-40ppm to 5ppm after a fifty percent water change.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
How many milliliters of the solutions are you dosing? Based on 3 times a week dosing, full EI would be about 3 1/2 ml of all the macros and 6 ml of the Plantex. I doubt you need the MgSO4 with a GH of 9 degrees but it shouldn't hurt anything.

I would also check your nitrate test. You shouldn't be going from 30-40ppm to 5ppm after a fifty percent water change.
I dose 10 ml per dose of each the macro and micro, I based this on the calculators (Nutri-Calc) weekly dose/3 x 50.

I'll check on the nitrate reading.

Thanks

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
I would probably just reduce the KNO3 by about 25%. You arent that much over the target level. That should still be plenty of K, but it wont hurt anything to bump the K2SO4 a little bit to make up the difference. How much exactly, Im not sure.
Thanks for the reply, how much would you suggest I bump the K2SO4

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Thanks, how much would you suggest I bump the K2SO4

Ehiem Pimp Club #546
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Sorry. I didn't change the tank size from 10 gallons

Your doses seem off...

Your current dosing...
Code:
Nutrient	Current PPM	Recommended
KNO3		8.42		7.5
KH2PO4		2.73		1.3
K2SO4		2.85		2.5 (minus KNO3)
Plantex		0.32		0.5
To meet the recommended doses using your current solutions...
Code:
Nutrient	dose	ppm
KNO3		9ml	7.6
KH2PO4		5ml	1.37
K2SO4		10ml	2.84
Plantex 	16ml	0.51
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Sorry. I didn't change the tank size from 10 gallons

Your doses seem off...

Your current dosing...
Code:
Nutrient	Current PPM	Recommended
KNO3		8.42		7.5
KH2PO4		2.73		1.3
K2SO4		2.85		2.5 (minus KNO3)
Plantex		0.32		0.5
To meet the recommended doses using your current solutions...
Code:
Nutrient	dose	ppm
KNO3		9ml	7.6
KH2PO4		5ml	1.37
K2SO4		10ml	2.84
Plantex 	16ml	0.51
What calculator are you using, because with the Nutri-Calc I come up with different ppm's or I am reading it wrong. I based my dose on 1/3 of the weekly total times 50 so I could dilute it in 500 ml with a 10 ml dose 3x a week. Is this correct?

Ehiem Pimp Club #546
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 03:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknight View Post
What calculator are you using, because with the Nutri-Calc I come up with different ppm's or I am reading it wrong. I based my dose on 1/3 of the weekly total times 50 so I could dilute it in 500 ml with a 10 ml dose 3x a week. Is this correct?
I used the one I wrote here. You can also use an online calculator, Yet another nutrient calculator.

I took a look at Nutri-Calc. I see where you came up with those numbers. I don't understand why the doses change when you select/deselect EI dosing. If EI dosing is selected it increases the dose size. The dose size does NOT equal the ppm entered, 20 for KNO3 for example.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I used the one I wrote here. You can also use an online calculator, Yet another nutrient calculator.

I took a look at Nutri-Calc. I see where you came up with those numbers. I don't understand why the doses change when you select/deselect EI dosing. If EI dosing is selected it increases the dose size. The dose size does NOT equal the ppm entered, 20 for KNO3 for example.
Thanks Zorfox,

When I use your calculator is the result a weekly dose or a dose for 3x a week

Ehiem Pimp Club #546
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 01:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknight View Post
Thanks Zorfox,

When I use your calculator is the result a weekly dose or a dose for 3x a week
It's 3x/week if you select "The Estimative Index" in dosing method.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Before I started reducing KNO3, I might research/google,,calibrating nitrate tests.
Those much more accomplished than I also suggest this to get true ppm if one worries about such things.
Last test I performed was a couple years ago and nitrate reading with API test revealed 80 ppm yet shrimps,plant's,fishes.were unfazed.
Perhaps I am wasting product ,,but I put away the test kit and now I just watch the plant's,shrimp's,fishe's.
The point brought to my attention was that the hobbyist test kit's are far from accurate without calibrating them.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
It's 3x/week if you select "The Estimative Index" in dosing method.
Thank you

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Before I started reducing KNO3, I might research/google,,calibrating nitrate tests.
Those much more accomplished than I also suggest this to get true ppm if one worries about such things.
Last test I performed was a couple years ago and nitrate reading with API test revealed 80 ppm yet shrimps,plant's,fishes.were unfazed.
Perhaps I am wasting product ,,but I put away the test kit and now I just watch the plant's,shrimp's,fishe's.
The point brought to my attention was that the hobbyist test kit's are far from accurate without calibrating them.
I understand what you are saying, fish, shrimp and plants are doing fine. Think I will adjust my dosing to Zorfox's calculator and keep an eye on the plants and livestock as you do. I know I can be misreading the colors along with any calibration problems.

Ehiem Pimp Club #546

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode