EI dosing, some plants are doing great, some are not. Need advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy EI dosing, some plants are doing great, some are not. Need advice

I've been playing around with fertilisers for quite some time now, but I've never had a regular dosing program, it was all kind of random. Old folks that introduced me to the hobby made me believe that fertilisers were only to be used by experts and only someone that sold their sous to unknown spiritual entities could master it's use. LOL! Seriously, those guys are afraid of ferts like a cow is afraid of a slaughterhouse.
Well..... I'm not, and I'm really keen to experiment new techniques.
About 3 to 4 months ago I decided I would give EI a try, since my plants were not doing well. My HC carpet was dying, my anubias were getting yellow leaves and my tank was in the process of developing some algae.

I researched a lot and come up with a dosing regimen based on a online calculator. Currently I'm dosing KNO3, KH2PO4, flourish for traces and the Cacl + MgSO4 for GH.
KNO3 + KH2PO4 -> monday, wednesday, saturday
Trace -> Tuesday, thursday, sunday
CaCl + MgSO4 -> only WC days (fridays)

I also add a spoonful of NaHCO3 for KH boost every water change. Water changes are done every friday.

Since I started dosing, my HC started growing beautiful again (see pictures, you'll notice), however it seems that the carpet lift away from the substrate (kinda hard to explain, hard to notice in the pictures), in the middle of the larger areas the HC got very fluffy and apparently is not attached to the substrate anymore. My anubias got dark green leaves again (new leaves and loads of new rots), but they doesn't grow. No, it's not nana variety, since it had large leaves that got yellow and then trimmed.
I'm also experiencing something I've never had: green glass. My ottos cannot keep up with the algae grow in the glass. That's not a big problem, since I can easily scrub it out. Nonetheless, it's annoying. I'm not having any other algae problems, except for green glass, the algae that was growing before I started EI dosing never showed up again (BBA algae).
Based on that information I assume that I got some good results, but not optimal.
So, based in your experience what am I missing?
My main problem is that my anubias are not growing, my HC is lifting, and I'm having green glass.

Thanks in advance for advice

PS: Some other useful information:

My tank is a 10G, currently using JBL Manado + JBL Aquabasis+ substrate.
I got HC and anubias.
CO2 controlled through a solenoid and drop checker (always green BTW).
Filtration is made by a 100g/h canister filter. Only bio media (2L of siporax) and pre filter to remove large debris. UV filter 24/7.
DIY light fixture -> No idea exactly on how much PAR I'm getting (I constructed the fixture based on hoppy's par calculator tool), but I think it's high light since I could grow any plant hassle free in the past, even some very high light demanding plants like Glossoestigma. FYI I have 3 10W 6500k LED + 4 660nm 3W LED + 4 450nm 3 W LED mounted in the fixture. Lumen output is about 3500lm.
Photoperiod is set at 9 hours daily.

Sorry for the crappy iphone pictures, left DSLR at the office, but you'll get the idea.
Water is a little dirty because today was maintenance day, I was travelling on friday so I had to do it today.

Overview

Not green glass, but green boulder!

New HC growth opposed to the old brownish leaves

You might notice the "fluffly"areas (higher than other areas)

New beautiful growth

Anubias

More anubias. I took these pictures while the tank was low on water during a WC.

They used to be like this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 04:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
HC and anubias are not a compatible couple, in my opinion. HC needs medium to high light and good CO2 to do well. Anubias needs low light, or it tends to attract a lot of algae growths. If you had a way to shade the anubias, while leaving the HC in full light, it would probably work ok. You could switch from anubias to another higher light plant group, and it would work better.

HC needs regular pruning or it does form floating mats. It is not a plant to just observe and allow to grow as it wants.

Hoppy
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
HC and anubias are not a compatible couple, in my opinion. HC needs medium to high light and good CO2 to do well. Anubias needs low light, or it tends to attract a lot of algae growths. If you had a way to shade the anubias, while leaving the HC in full light, it would probably work ok. You could switch from anubias to another higher light plant group, and it would work better.
Good point. I'm might take it out and put it in a emersed culture for a while. I'll probably rescape this tank once the HC gets healthy again, and I might find room for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
HC needs regular pruning or it does form floating mats. It is not a plant to just observe and allow to grow as it wants.
I know that. However, the plants were in such a bad shape that I didn't have anything to prune, If I do it now I'll probably kill it. I might be wrong tho....

Any advice for the green algae I'm getting on the glass and boulder?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 04:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
The HC reeks of poor CO2, ignore the drop checker and SLOWLY add more, then watch closely. Do this in small steps, not large sudden changes and then leave for work for 8-10 hours.

Water changes, do 2x a week. Add excel perhaps, reduce light intensity etc.
The HC looks sort of sickly, pulling up etc.

The ferts have nothing to do with the issues you are having.

Light and CO2........like most people.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
The HC reeks of poor CO2, ignore the drop checker and SLOWLY add more, then watch closely. Do this in small steps, not large sudden changes and then leave for work for 8-10 hours.

Water changes, do 2x a week. Add excel perhaps, reduce light intensity etc.
The HC looks sort of sickly, pulling up etc.

The ferts have nothing to do with the issues you are having.

Light and CO2........like most people.
Thanks for the advice, I'll do it and report in a few days (or week).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode