slightly milky water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
slightly milky water

My ABN babies are going to town on the GDA. Could they be adding to the water. They like all pleco's are such poopalators. I am still getting slightly milky water. This time it was after I added three gal of water. I poured it in slowly so as not to disturb the gravel. I vac gravel once a week or so. Do in two days. What can be causing the milky water? nitrates 0, nitrites 0, ph 7, kh 7. kh 40, gh 30 , silica same as in tap 2, phos 4
My filter is over 15yrs old. I rinse it out about once a month. and every 4-6 months I change the white fine pad. The course filter I tap out till water runs clear. I have never changed the filter pellets. Is this ok?
Plants are perking up since I raised the light and reduced time to 6hrs. Is my tank still catching up with itself. Is that why I am getting milky water after water change or by just adding water. Had the last bloom several weeks ago with loss of Discus. Will not add any more fish till water clears. Maybe some more plants. I give my fish sinking Cichlid mini pellets. I don't think it clouds. It never did before.

75g, pair of gold rams , ABN, 1 adult 2 young discus, 2oto's, 6ADF's, 3 anglefish. 96w 6700k-light 6hrs raised, No C02, Excel, EI dry macro's and micro's, Eheim 2126, 18w UV, 2 Nano 270 powerhead. wall of bubbles for more O2 for such a deep tank.

Last edited by Crystalview; 10-12-2014 at 04:28 AM. Reason: adding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 06:51 AM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
Bacterial bloom.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 10:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'd test for ammonia just in case. It's bacteria imbalance as stated above

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think it a bacterial bloom also. Ammonia is 0
But why so often what is causing it?

75g, pair of gold rams , ABN, 1 adult 2 young discus, 2oto's, 6ADF's, 3 anglefish. 96w 6700k-light 6hrs raised, No C02, Excel, EI dry macro's and micro's, Eheim 2126, 18w UV, 2 Nano 270 powerhead. wall of bubbles for more O2 for such a deep tank.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Well I don't know if your words are leading me other than the direction they were supposed to, but "The course filter I tap out till water runs clear" is unclear as to what it means. If faucet water is involved in
this "runs clear" part you are killing some of your beneficial bacteria.
Same thing/w this one. "My filter is over 15yrs old. I rinse it out about once a month." What do you rinse it out with ?
Sounds like your tank has a fairly heavy bio-load which is more than
the filter pellets can handle by themselves. When you clean these things you are killing part of your filter temporarilly. Rinse the coarse pad in the bucket of water you took out to do a water change, not faucet water. The walls of the inside of the filter have a large part of your bacteria on them. You can probably wipe them off with the coarse pad
as long as you do so lightly and not really scrubbing in down.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 09:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The discus and bn pleco is not a good combo btw temperature wise
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I never really messed with the filter before the crash. except every couple of months. Ran great for years Tank had good prams. So I will ignore it for a while and only check the prams. It is just frustrating to have a great tank for years and then equipment ages and brakes or needs replaced. I do rinse the filter and pads in my well water. I will try with different water.
The ABN highest temp is 79. I lowered my tank to 80. The ABN's are in the tank to eat algae while young. They tend to get lazy when adults. They are great poopalators which messes with the water prams. I might keep one or two but I have homes for them.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 12:47 AM
Algae Grower

When you use tap water to rinse your filter the chloramines in the water damage the good bacteria on the filter. Your tank no longer has a stable Nitrogen cycle. you have fish with a heavy bioload and you have depleted the good bacteria in areas that they are most concentrated (the filter). This is evidenced in the Nitrates being at zero. In a tank with fish such as yours and a maintenance schedule as you are reporting (frequency) those Nitrates should be registering at or above 20ppm. I would suggest performing a water test very frequently and performing partial water changes of at least 30% every few days (or more if an ammonia spike occurs due to the bacteria imbalance) until your tank stabilizes. Frequent water changes are the key to clearing up the tank and I agree with the above information provided. Only rinse your filter media in used tank water when changing your tank. Swish gently to remove any build up only. Do not change your filters until they are falling apart. Let them be. Thee cloudiness will disappear once you are back in balance.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If your well water has no chlorine or chloramines added, that is OK for cleaning the filter media.

zero nitrates with that many fish suggest either a problem with the nitrifying bacteria, problem with the test, or else the plants are using all the nitrogen. Ammonia test would clear this up. If you are using the API tests make sure to shake the bottles REALLY WELL.
Ammonia is one cause of cloudy water, though I usually see more bubbles when there is a trace of ammonia, not really cloudy water, just 'not quite clear'.

Heterotrophic bacteria reproduce fast enough to cause cloudy water. Fish feces are good food for the heterotrophic bacteria.

Adding more fish, especially fish that are eating the algae can cause several issues.
1) The algae used to remove ammonia. Now the algae is going away, so it is not there to remove so much ammonia in the water.
2) The fish are breathing, and one of the waste products released by the gills is ammonia. So, the ammonia production is increased (added fish).
3) As the feces are broken down ammonia is released.

Check the other parameters, too. If there is something changing in the mineral levels that can cause cloudy water. Check GH, KH, pH and TDS. Maybe the well is drawing more minerals from water movement deep in the earth. This sure is the year for this sort of thing. VERY dry! You are lucky your well is still producing.
How deep is it?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Our well is 200'. Wells in your area usually have to much salt from the Delta. The town owns it's own dam. It does not add cloramine. The county made us put in City water but several of us kept our wells open. We have to test it for mercury (placer mining). So far ours stays clear.
I think it's time to buy new test kits. I got lazy for so many years when the tank was great.
I will change the water every couple of days. See how it goes. Thanks

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 01:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, anywhere close to the delta or river from about Pittsburg west can get some salt.
East of that (Brentwood, Oakley...) the main problem is nitrates from farming. Friends outside of Knightsen had a well that tested 20 ppm NO3 with GH and KH off the scale (Actually I quit testing at 20 drops).
I am glad you are having your well tested for mercury. The old miners sure worked over those foothills! My Aunt and Uncle had a place in Gold Run where it used to be a pretty good sized mountain. Got placer mined down to a valley. They only quit when the springs kept filling up the place they were working.
My Aunt and Uncle's well had really good water for a few years, then got really bad. Very high in minerals, though I do not know if they ever had it tested. They just quit drinking it.

Test kits age.
Look at the code or lot number (whatever they call it)
The last 4 digits refer to the date of manufacture.
.... 0413 for example is April of 2013.

Many tests are OK for up to 5 years:
Ammonia,
PondCare Ammonia,
Nitrite,
PondCare Nitrite,
Nitrate,
High Range pH,
KH,
Freshwater pH(low range)
PondCare Salt Level

Some go bad by 3 years:
PondCare Wide Range pH,
Phosphate,
Copper,
Calcium
GH
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yep a few were out dated

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode