Does this seem like a large amount of CaSO4 and MgSO4 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Does this seem like a large amount of CaSO4 and MgSO4

I just received my CaSO4 and MgSO4 from GLA and I just ran the numbers using the nutrient calculator. It says to dose 17.274g of MgSO4 and 17.359g of CaSO4. It just seems a little, excessive. Is anyone else with a large tank dosing that much once a week?

Brandon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|40B in progress

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 03:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHolmes View Post
I just received my CaSO4 and MgSO4 from GLA and I just ran the numbers using the nutrient calculator. It says to dose 17.274g of MgSO4 and 17.359g of CaSO4. It just seems a little, excessive. Is anyone else with a large tank dosing that much once a week?

How big is the tank? Are you trying to dry dose daily of make a 500ml liquid solution in a bottle?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It's my 90g and it would be a single dry dose weekly.

Brandon

|
|
|40B in progress

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 03:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If it's the same one in your signature line I didn't see CO2 listed in the OP (which is as far as I've looked ATM) and I've seen it posted (and so suggested to me personaly) that non CO2 injected tanks should start with 1/2 of the recomended EI dosing, as these caculations are typically based on high light and CO2 injection.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 04:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I thought a good ratio was 3 CA/1 Mg?

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It's CO2 injected. I run full EI dry dosing daily with:
4.166g KNO3 Mon/Wed
.634mg KH2PO4 Mon/Wed/Fri
1.693g K2SO4 Mon/Wed and 3.591g Fri
2.609g CSM+B Tue/Thu/Sat
Sunday 50% WC
I would dose the MgSO4 and CaSO4 on Sunday after the WC

Brandon

|
|
|40B in progress

Last edited by BHolmes; 10-06-2014 at 04:13 AM. Reason: ...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortalMasteryRy View Post
I thought a good ratio was 3 CA/1 Mg?
Actually the quantities (in grams) listed will provide a 3:1 Ca:Mg ratio.

Similar results would be accomplished with 3.5 teaspoons of MgSO4 and 6.0 teaspoons of CaSO4.

That said, it does seem a little excessive to me. If I were dosing at that level I would monitor my dKH and dGH and verify that the hardness does not substantially increase over a month or two and be sure to maintain the weekly water changes.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The calculator states its 3:1 because the MgSO4 dose would be 5ppm for Mg and the CaSO4 dose would be 15ppm for CA.

Quote:
That said, it does seem a little excessive to me. If I were dosing at that level I would monitor my dKH and dGH and verify that the hardness does not substantially increase over a month or two and be sure to maintain the weekly water changes.
That's exactly what I was thinking

Brandon

|
|
|40B in progress

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 04:50 AM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
In my 55 gallon, I dose 2TB of CaSO4 and 2 tsp of MgSO4. That's more than your 17gms of either. It achieves 20+ppm of Ca and 4+ppm of Mg.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks guys

Brandon

|
|
|40B in progress

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 03:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Hi Brandon,

Both Puyallup and Summit source most of their water from springs and wells so knowing the dKH and dGH of your tap water may help you determine an appropriate dosing level.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Hi Brandon,

Both Puyallup and Summit source most of their water from springs and wells so knowing the dKH and dGH of your tap water may help you determine an appropriate dosing level.
Thanks for the good info Roy. I just found my local water report and I'm at 72ppm out of the tap so fairly soft water.
Snails cannot survive long in any of my tanks either. I have the standard pest snails, trumpet snails, and ramshorn snails. All of them grow pretty small and die off fast. Their shells all look chipped and crumbling before they die. That all pointed me in the direction of increasing hardness.

Brandon

|
|
|40B in progress

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode