Excel??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Excel???

How often do you dose flourish excel in a 10g and how much?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 01:56 AM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...rishExcel.html

But that depends on what you're growing.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

It's low tech no co2.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 02:16 AM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
Then start with Seachem's suggestion. Or, if you don't feel comfortable, just dose the daily without the large initial dose. Then observe for any increased plant growth. If there isn't any, then it may not be necessary to use Excel.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 02:52 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
i use flourish every week in my 55 ( a little less than a cap-full on Sunday and wed ,, i'm running co2 tho , seachem has dosing amts on their website .
as for excel i stay far away from as i lost fish after using it and had a plant literally die after using half the recommended dose i hear people have used it just fine but i dont trust the stuff at all , but that's just me .
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 04:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Dose 2 ml per every 10 gallons of water, therefore about 2 ml for your tank. Dose every day, since it only lasts a day in the water. Don't ever dose the 5X dosage that Seachem recommends - all it does is delay the start of growth by the plants.

Hoppy
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 04:15 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Skip the recommended big initial doses. Otherwise use it daily. It's only active for 12-24 hours (depending on who you ask).

Start with the recommended daily dose, then you can slowly work up to 2x or even 3x rdd, if you want to - ie, use daily dose for 2 weeks, then 1.5x for 2 weeks, 2x for 2 weeks, etc.

I used a liberal 3x daily equivalent of Metricide in my 75 for about 6 months. Everything flourished, including several species of Crypts. Had some Vals melt initially then come right back. One plant I think doesnt tolerate it well is anacharis, though I do not have personal experience with it.

There's a good in-depth discussion of the more complex properties in this thread - https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=732681

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Excel is supposed to have a useful life of 24 hrs. So if it's gone in a day what good
does an extra large dose after a water change accomplish ? If you are putting it into a tank without any each time you use it, given that you are using it each day, then nothing was diluted by the water change and it's pointless to use a different size dose.
I used it @ 2x the recommended doses for over a year in one of my 10g tanks.
Don't really know if there was any difference. This tank has a few RCS in it, but they
have not done well in there since I used No-Planaria in this tank 8-9 months ago.
Very seldom is one berried. One or two a month die and at no particular age.
I just dose the 2x amount each day but don't add other size doses ever except that I occasionally spot treat some algae with it. On those days I will use no regular dose but will use two of a two ml dose size amount for treating the algae. I turn off all current at that time for half an hr.
It seems to effect GSA more than any other type of algae when used normally.
This tank has T5 lights and T8 on the other 10g but this one has/gets less GSA on the glass. The one/w the T8 gets more and has no Excel.
But on here fluctuating levels of CO2 are blamed for BBA algae so I would use excel every day if I did use it. If for no other reason, to give the plants more carbon every day rather than sporadically.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 05:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
I've used this off and on with various tanks.

One thing I've noticed is if you do the "big initial dose" you may and very well will see some melting depending on the types of plants you keep.

I now use it sporadically, though I feel that I should be using it more often in my low tech tanks.

Plants to avoid using it with in my experience: Vals (dwarf, jungle), riccia, and cabomba others may have different experiences, but I've seen the only change being the addition of excel and within days melting...

|
|
|
(Defunct) |
|
|

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm going to try a cap full for one week and see if there's any differences.

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 06:04 PM
Planted Member

That's not how it works.

Excel has an effective half life of 12 hours in a lit aquarium. Meaning, light reacts with the active ingredient (glut) and causes it to break down.

So after 12 hours, half of what you started with is gone.
12 hours later, half of what you had left is gone.
And so on.

A large initial dose is still going to have half of that available after 12 hours, and a quarter of the initial dose a full day later. But the initial dose is so high, a quarter is still a lot, and you're adding more on the second day on top of that.

That being said, there's no way I'm adding that much excel as the initial dose recommends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
Excel is supposed to have a useful life of 24 hrs. So if it's gone in a day what good
does an extra large dose after a water change accomplish ? If you are putting it into a tank without any each time you use it, given that you are using it each day, then nothing was diluted by the water change and it's pointless to use a different size dose.
<snip>
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 03:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I was hesitant to try excel due to having an all crypt tank. I went ahead and bought a bottle today and dosed the 1ml recommended for a 10g on my 20 high(1/2 dose). I will work my way up to the 2ml recommended dose but I just planted about 60-80 crypt plants and really don't want to experience the dreaded excel/crypt melt. (Low tech w/2 13w cfl's)

Since it lasts 12 hrs in my water column, do you guys recommend daily, every other day or bi-weekly?
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 03:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

Daily, and the crypts IF they do melt should bounce back quickly

Mine never melted BTW
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 12:42 PM
Algae Grower

i start excel yesterday and for my 100L tank i dose 15ml.
i dont see any fish gasping.
today i dose another 15ml.

for how many days should i keep dosing this to kill some BBA on the substrate and on some leaves?

Thanks
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 02:17 PM
Algae Grower

I dose a full dose daily in a tank with C. lutea, spiralis, wentii green, red, bronze, and parva.

I even moved them from a dirtied tank to new non dirtied tank and dosed excel. No melting what so ever and growth has increased a lot. I also increased lighting from about 25 par to 60 though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode