Starhorn pinholes after Flourish dosing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Starhorn pinholes after Flourish dosing

Hygrophila Corymbosa leave will always get pinholes in them after I use half the recommened dose of Seachem Flourish per week. I'll stopped for 2 weeks and let it clear up, but just 1-2 days after dosing the leaves gets holes in them again. I've tested this 3 times over and every time get holes. Am I doing something wrong of is this plant just sensitive to Flourish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 05:57 AM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
The pinholes are most probably from K deficiency, not from adding Flourish. What you're observing is the plants using the nutrients in Flourish to grow but since Flourish doesn't contain enough K, the plants become K-deficient. You need to add extra potassium to prevent it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 06:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcielo lawrencia View Post
The pinholes are most probably from K deficiency, not from adding Flourish. What you're observing is the plants using the nutrients in Flourish to grow but since Flourish doesn't contain enough K, the plants become K-deficient. You need to add extra potassium to prevent it.
Agreed. I had this happen with hygro before, its a super fast growing plant.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 06:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
There are a few types of Flourish so Ill go/w the idea you are talking about Flourish Comprehensive. That is a nutrient suppliment. it does NOT contain all of the nutrients that plants need. Potassium is the nutrient which has holes in the leaves as a symptom.
What could be happening is that the plant growth accelerates when you add some nutrients, but doesn't have enough of the Potassium it needs so it's scavenging some
from it's older leaves. Usually, a plant will not grow if a nutrient is left out completely.
If you want to test this try adding Potassium at the same time as the Flourish.
1/16 tsp is good for a 10g and just multiply it from there for a larger tank.
Potassium is in either KNO3 or K2SO4. That is 1/16 tsp dry fert. Use the directions on a liquid.
If you are talking about Excel, yes some plants are sensitive to it, Vals being the number one on that list.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cool thanks guys, I just added seachem root tabs a few days ago. I know they have more potassium in them, although I'm not sure if it is enough. I'll let the tabets soak in for a week and try my Flourish Comprehensive again. If that doesn't work i'll go out and buy potassium.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 05:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thanks Raymond. I have had Potassium deficiency before and I'm only dosing Comprehensive and Root Tabs, with Potassium Sulphate as necessary when I see holes.

I guess it would be better to do EI dosing just to make sure. I have a 10 gallon tank with MGOCPM+sand cap and 2x 10W CFL raised about 20" from the substrate.

I know you're supposed to do 1/4 to 1/3 of the full EI. I just don't have enough information about soil substrates and low tech EI

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
started April 18, 2012
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 06:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
BTW, this would go more in the lighting forum, but I guess from the Inverse-Square Law of Light Intensity, my lighting would be 0.308641975308642 of the original light of the bulb(s). Intensity ~ 1/Distance squared. Distance from my lights to the substrate is 20", 2x 10W CFL. I have a 10 gallon tank.

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
started April 18, 2012

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode