letting tap water sit to lower KH/pH? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
letting tap water sit to lower KH/pH?

It was recommended to me by a forum member that letting my tap sit for 24-48 hrs might slightly lower my KH/pH? I have very hard water with a high pH.
Tested water from the tap: KH-19d, GH-8, pH-8.4 (before anyone asks its not a typo):/
I let water sit for 36 hrs and these were the results=KH-17d, GH-4, but the pH stayed the same! I've read mixed opinions online about letting water sit to alter things a bit. I was looking into a R/O unit but thought I'd come to the forum first for thoughts on this??

On a side note, any thoughts on other micro/macro nutrients being depleted because my water is so hard.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 04:28 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Your water is perfect for African lake cichlids or live bearers. If you want a wider variety, ro is the way to go.

Gh is just calcium and magnesium. You'll need to add macros & micros.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 04:57 AM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
kH is carbonate CO3-, and can't be removed/lowered by letting it air out. Neither can GH (Ca and/or Mg) be lowered. pH may lower if the tap is low in CO2 so letting it sit for a long time (greater than 48 hrs) can result in atmospheric CO2 to dissolve into the water. But, pH can rise if the tap is high in CO2 and letting it air out will incrase pH. If you are using drop testers for the kH and GH, then the amount of each drop can change with the angle of the drop bottle, resulting is different results. So it's most likely user error which is causing the variable readings.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 05:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am surprised to see such a large change in GH or KH. As Solcielo suggests, I am afraid this is user error somewhere.

To really affect this water go buy a gallon of RO or distilled water and try some blends.
As hard as your water is I think I would start with 50/50 for the most durable of community fish, and 75% RO + 25% tap for soft water fish that still need softer water.
If you can get the KH under 5 degrees I think the pH will drop somewhere into the low to mid sevens, and if you can get the KH to 3 degrees you can probably drop the pH more with peat moss.

Otherwise, keep fish that are accustomed to such water:
Rift Lake Cichlids
Live bearers
many Rainbows
For some brackish water fish salt itself is optional, as long as the mineral level is high.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I actually have a community tank, rainbows, tetras, corry's, and a molly that I've had forever! I've taken my water to have it tested, and am struggling to find plants that will thrive in my water conditions:/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcielo lawrencia View Post
kH is carbonate CO3-, and can't be removed/lowered by letting it air out. Neither can GH (Ca and/or Mg) be lowered. pH may lower if the tap is low in CO2 so letting it sit for a long time (greater than 48 hrs) can result in atmospheric CO2 to dissolve into the water. But, pH can rise if the tap is high in CO2 and letting it air out will incrase pH. If you are using drop testers for the kH and GH, then the amount of each drop can change with the angle of the drop bottle, resulting is different results. So it's most likely user error which is causing the variable readings.
I have used both test strips and drop tests, and finally took my water to a LFS. Our neighborhood is required to have a water softener and I pull the water before it goes through the softener. So the RO unit is the way to go then..

Last edited by Darkblade48; 10-03-2014 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Back to back posts
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 05:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile Curiouser and Curiouser I Am

Hi

I am rather curious.

Will you call your water provider and ask to speak to one of their chemists? Let them know you are a hobbyist and are curious about these results.

Or share your location with us, or pm me with your town, I will not share it with anyone.

What are the numbers from your softened water? Using softened water you will have to add some stuff back in and worst case you are only adding 70-ppm Na (Sodium) or so.

If the GH fell by 4-dGH that isnít hardness that gave that reading and your water is actually fairly soft.

Best guess is you live in farm country (or your water comes from farm country) and they are seriously manipulating the water chemistry to avoid high levels of chlorine and the fines that come from there by-products.

Respectfully
Joe
FBTB

If your Guru tells you otherwise and you are true believer that is okay I will not argue the point.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I pretty much limit what I say to things that anyone can easily verify from recognized references or by direct observation. If it is my opinion I say so.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRoun View Post
Hi

I am rather curious.

Will you call your water provider and ask to speak to one of their chemists? Let them know you are a hobbyist and are curious about these results.

Or share your location with us, or pm me with your town, I will not share it with anyone.

What are the numbers from your softened water? Using softened water you will have to add some stuff back in and worst case you are only adding 70-ppm Na (Sodium) or so.

If the GH fell by 4-dGH that isnít hardness that gave that reading and your water is actually fairly soft.

Best guess is you live in farm country (or your water comes from farm country) and they are seriously manipulating the water chemistry to avoid high levels of chlorine and the fines that come from there by-products.

Respectfully
Joe
FBTB
PM coming soon with details...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 06:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile Oh My

Could have been interesting...

If your Guru tells you otherwise and you are true believer that is okay I will not argue the point.

I pretty much limit what I say to things that anyone can easily verify from recognized references or by direct observation. If it is my opinion I say so.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode