API freshwater test kit cheat sheet - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb API freshwater test kit cheat sheet

Here is a cheat card I made for the API Freshwater Masters liquid test kit. I’m posting it up for others who might find it useful. It is printable size to fit right into the box, I would laminate it or use packaging tape to water proof. I found it annoyed flipping pages through in the included instructions booklet, so this has cut down my testing times in half. Also included are KH and GH test instructions with chart. Below is a tracking chart for people to use to monitor water parameters.

Last edited by eat2muchrice; 09-28-2014 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Adding Chart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 02:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Awesome! Thank you for this! Printing it right now!
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Forgot to add this tracking chart for people to use to keep monitor water parameters.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 03:39 AM
Algae Grower

That is great! Thanks for sharing.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

NP, Glad it is useful!
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 06:38 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Thanks. This is great. Since I lost the instruction book I only tested water once..
Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 01:04 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Just curious. On the Kh and GH step #2 is it supposed to read completed or competed? Thanks for this, very useful.

From the depths of my substrate!
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Great idea! I test so infrequently I forget the process. Not to mention after awhile of abuse the direction pages get stuck together. I can't be the only one .
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 03:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
Great idea! I test so infrequently I forget the process. Not to mention after awhile of abuse the direction pages get stuck together. I can't be the only one .
Do the test kits not come with the cards any more? And did they stop putting the directions on the bottles?

Maybe my tests are just old

Then again I did buy all my test separate, the LFS I bought them from didn't stock the master kit. The tests I bought came with laminated cards (1&7/8" X 3&1/4") that I put together, punched a hole with a hole punch and hung them on a key ring. The test instructions are on the back. I know the colors are the same from all the charts I've seen posted on here
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Jmelvin- Good eye! I’ll make changes and have that “competed” tonight.

FatherLandDescendant- The master test comes with a shabby 20 page mini booklet and the instructions are long. The KH and GH come with a thin folded instruction sheet. I’m sure the older ones came with nice laminated cards, but now a days it feels that everyone it penny pinching.
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
Just curious. On the Kh and GH step #2 is it supposed to read completed or competed? Thanks for this, very useful.
Done, made the change and reposted it up top.
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 09:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat2muchrice View Post
FatherLandDescendant- The master test comes with a shabby 20 page mini booklet and the instructions are long. The KH and GH come with a thin folded instruction sheet. Iím sure the older ones came with nice laminated cards, but now a days it feels that everyone it penny pinching.
A month ago Fosters and Smith sent me a high range ph test kit on accident, it had the card as well, makes me wonder if it's just with the master test kit they send what you describe. Wonder if anyone who has recently bought a single kit will chime in? No matter to me though, I'll just keep my cards

The GH/KH kit I got also had just a paper sheet but 1 drop shake, 1 drop shake, until it changes color, who needs instructions for that...
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherLandDescendant View Post
A month ago Fosters and Smith sent me a high range ph test kit on accident, it had the card as well, makes me wonder if it's just with the master test kit they send what you describe. Wonder if anyone who has recently bought a single kit will chime in? No matter to me though, I'll just keep my cards

The GH/KH kit I got also had just a paper sheet but 1 drop shake, 1 drop shake, until it changes color, who needs instructions for that...
Clearly you have no use for the chart, I created this to help myself and other like me that have the API Masters Test set. The GH/KH chart has the conversion rate from dKH to ppm, I for one like to use ppm in my journals. Besides by 1 and 0 I canít multiply 17.848 in my head.
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 03:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eat2muchrice View Post
Clearly you have no use for the chart, I created this to help myself and other like me that have the API Masters Test set. The GH/KH chart has the conversion rate from dKH to ppm, I for one like to use ppm in my journals. Besides by 1 and 0 I canít multiply 17.848 in my head.
Wasn't trying to be condensending, sorry if if came off that way. I just wondered that the master kit that everybody buys doesn't have the cards that's all. Of course one could replace their test when they need to with the individual test kits instead of the master one and get the cards, which hold up better than the paper sheets that you guys have been saying are in there.

As for the journal sheet, I understand making one up. I myself have a excel workbook for my tank. It tracks all the water quality parameters month to month, my weights for dry ferts, and keeps track of how much money I spend on my tank with seperate fields for fish, plants, equipment and another that combinds the three for a total yearly spending. It's quite simplestic in its' construction, but helps keep track of all the important stuff in one place.
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 05:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I used a Sharpie marker (fine tip) and wrote on each bottle the number of drops.
Also, on the back of each card are the instructions. I made a little stand that holds several bottles, the cards and the test tubes, all organized. The card is in a slot that stands it up for mixing, then I just turn it around to see the colors.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode