Drop checker not matching manual tests - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Drop checker not matching manual tests

I'm fairly new at this and would like some help with CO2 readings.

I have a 29g, low light, moderately planted tank. I've just started dosing with the PPS Pro method and I just added injected CO2 with the Aquatek Mini Regulator on a paintball tank. I'm diffusing with an Aquatek 3-in-1 diffuser at 3bps and I'm sure I'm losing a fair amount due to running 1 AquaClear 30 and 1 Aquaclear 50 (both set to low).

Here's the dilemma. I put a Fluval drop checker in the tank 2 days before I started running the CO2. I used the premixed fluid that came with it. The reading was blue for the days I didn't run CO2. At the end of the first day I started running CO2 the drop checker turned green. Today it's still green and I tested PH and KH. KH was 8 degrees and PH was 7.5. I could be a bit off on PH due to it being hard to distinguish with the API test. These numbers mean the CO2 should be about 8. Am I missing something here? Even if I was off on the PH a bit I shouldn't be at 30ppm (turning drop checker green) until I hit a PH of 6.9. If it matters my GH is 12 degrees.

Please set me straight here! Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The CO2 from pH and kH charts assume the water contains absolutely nothing else. They are really not valid when testing aquarium water.

The drop checker solution may not be accurate. Even if it is, visually distinguishing pH to 0.1 by eye is extremely difficult in a drop checker. For the typical 4dkh solution you want lime green. Regular green or forest green comes a lot earlier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 05:32 AM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
What color green? Was it a lime green? If it was a darker green, then that's lower than ~30ppm.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

I didn't realize it would need to get to lime green. With my limited experience it's difficult to say but I think it's more of a regular green. I'll let it ride for a couple weeks and see how the plants do. Thanks for the help.

Bump: I didn't realize it would need to get to lime green. With my limited experience it's difficult to say but I think it's more of a regular green. I'll let it ride for a couple weeks and see how the plants do. Thanks for the help.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 04:11 AM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
If you have an API pH card, the pH of 6.6 is the "perfect" green which equals ~30ppm of CO2. It's a lime green color.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode