CO2 Question - Diffusers - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
CO2 Question - Diffusers

Hey everyone!

So I'm doing my CO2 differently in my 55g tank and have a single diffuser in the corner set up underneath an underwater powerhead (to push it down and through the tank) compared to my old method where the CO2 would simply build up in the reactor and not go into the water.

I use a PH controller to take my levels down approx. 1.2 PH while the lights are on. However today during the first light cycle the level only dropped about .5 and it ran the entire time that the lights were on.

Should I increase my BPS or should I be looking at splitting the co2 line to go to 2 diffusers in the tank?

Thanks!

Drew

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
(Defunct) |
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 10:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
if you have bubbles that reach the surface increasing the bps would just be wasting co2. adding another diffuser and power head would be the next option and better yet would be getting a inline diffuser.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 10:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
I would suggest building a rex grigg style reactor, very effective and you will go through less co2.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I've been using a reactor that comes off my canister outflow but the co2 just builds up in there and creates a gas pocket. I'm trying not to waste co2 but it's a 20 lb tank that I go through every 3 months so I'm trying to stretch that out

|
|
|
(Defunct) |
|
|

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Do you have a picture of the reactor? I build one for my 75 gallon tank which I run a lot of co2 through without any buildup that I can hear.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 12:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Build a reactor that works properly. My cerges style on my 75G works perfectly.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Give me a few ill show you the one I was using...

|
|
|
(Defunct) |
|
|

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

This is what I was using it has a power had built in but when I use the co2 in that setup it creates a pocket of co2 about 2 inches in from the top

|
|
|
(Defunct) |
|
|

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 03:27 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Did you test your water to see the actual amount of dissolved co2?

I've never had a whole lot of luck with that style of reactor, honestly. I've gone back to a high pressure diffuser underneath my canister intake. That way I can make my fish gasp without seeing a single co2 bubble in the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode