Ph will not go down even with new driftwood in tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ph will not go down even with new driftwood in tank

I have extremely hard water where I live (well water). My current tank is a 10 gallon. The substrate is a one inch thick layer of flourite that was previously used, with a few rocks for decoration. There are two pieces of used driftwood in the tank and one new piece that I have in the tank just for curing it. I thought that the new piece would help bring down the ph in the tank, but it's not. The ph tests at between 7.6 and 8.2 using the regular and high ph API test kit.

Shouldn't the new driftwood piece help bring down the ph. I want to keep low or neutral ph fish (tetras, cory cats, a betta, etc).

What can I do to lower the ph other than using RO water from the grocery store, or putting peat in the filter?

The Fraternity of Dirt #144
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 07:07 PM
Planted Member

WestHaven,

the pH you report for your 10G tank is absolutely normal. When you add driftwood tannins will slowly leach out and they will lower the pH, but not by much. If you have really hard water you may not see a difference at all.
I'm not sure why you want to lower your pH because you fish will adjust to your current pH with no problem. However, the hardness of your water is an entirely different issue.
(I think the fish you list prefer softer water) Perhaps you can determine the KH & GH (a measure of hardness) of your water. If it is around 100 ppm or less then you have no problem.

I assume you have a non-planted tank? Good growth of plants would require that you feed CO2 (usually done by gassing it into the tank). This will automatically lower your pH to ~6.5, since CO2 dissolves in water by forming carbonic acid.

However, if you really just want to lower your pH without much fuss, just add a drop or two of vinegar (acetic acid). Use the vinegar from your kitchen, which typically is a 5% solution of acetic acid.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It is a newly setup planted tank. It is planted with water sprite and mirio. I know for a fact that our water is really hard because their are mineral deposits on our silverware whenever we run the dishwasher. I think I'll just get a 5 gallon jug and get some RO water from the grocery store.

The Fraternity of Dirt #144

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 01:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Ph wont be affected that much from used driftwood, you could try peat in your filter and see if that will do anything, or use a mixture of RO/tap water to bring your KH down so the Ph wont be buffered as much. My tap is 21 or somthen degrees KH I dilute it down to 3-4.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 11:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

Your Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestHaven View Post
I have extremely hard water where I live (well water). My current tank is a 10 gallon. The substrate is a one inch thick layer of flourite that was previously used, with a few rocks for decoration. There are two pieces of used driftwood in the tank and one new piece that I have in the tank just for curing it. I thought that the new piece would help bring down the ph in the tank, but it's not. The ph tests at between 7.6 and 8.2 using the regular and high ph API test kit.

Shouldn't the new driftwood piece help bring down the ph. I want to keep low or neutral ph fish (tetras, cory cats, a betta, etc).

What can I do to lower the ph other than using RO water from the grocery store, or putting peat in the filter?
Hello West...

Most fish you get at the pet store will tolerate a wide range of water tap water conditions. A pH of between 6 and even 8.5 is fine as long as the chemistry is stable.

I don't think you need to do anything other than use something like Seachem's "Safe" to remove the chlorine and chloramine.

A very small tank will require a couple of water changes a week to maintain safe water conditions for the fish.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode