No Plants Do I need GH - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation No Plants Do I need GH

So Im doing 2 tanks bare bottom for a FlowerHorn I buffer all my RO water ,now I'm wondering if with no plants do I need to worry about GH or if I can just do the KH and PH buffering ? It would ge much simpler with out the GH part of it ,so do the fish need GH for any reason ?

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 06:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes, fish need GH.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 08:16 PM
Planted Member

Aqguy,
you really cant separate KH and GH. KH is part of what is measured with GH, they go together as flour and cake.

If you want to measure hardness of your water, just measure GH.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by g4search View Post
Aqguy,
you really cant separate KH and GH. KH is part of what is measured with GH, they go together as flour and cake.

If you want to measure hardness of your water, just measure GH.
GH and KH are two separate values and are independent of one another. GH is the measurement of total calcium and magnesium ions in the water. KH is the measurement of carbonate and bicarbonate anions in the water.

As for OP, yes you will need to bring up the GH if you're using RO water.

The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 11:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Fish View Post
GH and KH are two separate values and are independent of one another. GH is the measurement of total calcium and magnesium ions in the water. KH is the measurement of carbonate and bicarbonate anions in the water.

As for OP, yes you will need to bring up the GH if you're using RO water.
+1 Fish need a certain amount of minerals in the water, some many need more than others but they all need some.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Yes, as others have said you need minerals in the water. They occur naturally. Different fish have different requirements so adjust according to your stock.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 12:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I believe the Flowerhorn likes a GH around 8, so you'll have to add a GH booster.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 02:26 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 691175002 View Post
Yes, fish need GH.
Quote:
Monster Fish,

nobody disputes that GH and KH are two separate values, but they are NOT independent of each other. I agree that KH is a value that reflects the amount of carbonate anions in the water. The problem however is that no anion can exist without a counter ion (cation).
Lets just say you have only CaCO3 in the water, then you measure the carbonate anion as KH and the calcium cation as GH and their values should be the same. (In reality however, the GH test also measures, in addition to ca++, any cation that is capable of reacting with the test dye.)
As a result, it is impossible to have a GH value that is smaller than the KH value.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks to everyone for there answers will contiue to buffer GH thanks

Bump:

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 02:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
If your water is high in sodium bicarbonate, potassium carbonate, or potassium bicarbonate it's possible to have a high KH with near negligible GH.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=198074

The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 04:47 AM
Planted Member

Gh

Quote:
If your water is high in sodium bicarbonate, potassium carbonate, or potassium bicarbonate it's possible to have a high KH with near negligible GH.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=198074
Monsterfish,
I stand corrected. I read the threat you provided and of course I see how it can happen that the GH comes out so low when you are dealing with solutions that contain only monovalent cations. ( It just doesn't feel right, because I believe this does not really occur in nature. )

I think I really start to appreciate the ancient German method of determining hardness by evaporating the water sample and then weighing out the residue.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 03:25 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
G4search,

My tap is 29kh, no measurable gh. It does occur.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 07:22 PM
Planted Member

johnpfaff,
29 KH ?? that's way above the regular scale. It would mean that you have 519 ppm of carbonate in your tap water. If it is 519 ppm of sodium bicarbonate, then your tap water should behave like a tablet of alkaseltzer. I'm sure you don't think that that is natural.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by g4search View Post
johnpfaff,
29 KH ?? that's way above the regular scale. It would mean that you have 519 ppm of carbonate in your tap water. If it is 519 ppm of sodium bicarbonate, then your tap water should behave like a tablet of alkaseltzer. I'm sure you don't think that that is natural.
I sometimes wonder if those who find a very high dKH for their water aren't actually reporting KH in ppm, rather than German Degrees. 29 ppm is about 1.5 dKH. Some KH test kits are calibrated to give ppm and others are calibrated to give dKH.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode