Test tube water: responsible disposal? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Test tube water: responsible disposal?

After you test your water parameters, how do you dispose of the test tube water?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Sink

46 Bow Front Planted
Eheim 2217 & 2236, 2-39wt T5 bulbs (10,000), 72-75*
Pristella tetras, cardinal tetra, amano shirmp, bamboo shrimp, nerite snails, assassin snails and red cherry shrimp.

My tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Mandy
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 09:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Me too on the sink

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've seen people bring water samples into the LFS, and after testing they toss it into their display tanks.

I'm not nearly that brave, so it goes down the sink.

I doubt any of the reagents used are a problem since they would undoubtedly come with warnings if they were.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 12:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Dump in the sink and then flush with water.

The reagents do come with warnings and disposal instructions.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 12:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The ammonia bottle 1 (polyethylene glycol and sodium salicylate), Nitrite (polyethylene glyco) and Nitrate (contains hydrochloric acid) tests should definitely not be put down the sink. Most local areas have hazardous waste collection schemes. Get individual jars/containers for each different test and store contents into it (ensure no brass or copper is on the lid). You can also used empty Seachem bottles for this. Keep in cool place. Dispose of in the HHW collection when required.

| Eheim Prof 3, 2217, 2213 (Purigen only) + 350 Skim, Reeflex UV 800 | HC300A Chiller | 3xKessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + Aqua Medic Reactor1000 | DIY Fertz + 2 x Jabeo DP-4 | CAL AQUA LABSí Black Earth & GreenBase subst. + root tabs

| Eheim 2217 + 2213 | Kessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + atomiser | DIY Fertz | ADA Africana + root tabs.

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 02:57 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
Just dump it in the sink, let's not over think this.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Really? How much polyethylene glycol, sodium salicylate and hydrochloric acid are we talking about?

These sound nasty, but they are all things we commonly run down our drains anyway in small amounts.

Is there more polyethylene glycol in the test than there is in an average dose of toothpaste and/or shampoo (which commonly contain small amounts of PEG)?

Is there more hydrochloric acid (HCL) than a dose of HCL based drain cleaner? (I find this highly unlikely, drain cleaners based on it contain huge amounts of HCL, concentrated enough to burn your skin quickly and you end up dumping a few cups down the drain)

Is there more salicylate than you end up urinating out (in the form of salicylic acid) after you take a dose of aspirin?

Last edited by mattinmd; 09-21-2014 at 02:59 AM. Reason: wrap fix
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 03:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRENT View Post
Just dump it in the sink, let's not over think this.
The question was asked. The correct answer is to get rid of it responsibly. Thousands of people are just lazy and dump in the sink, i understand that, but the accumulative nature of these things is huge.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmd View Post
Really? How much polyethylene glycol, sodium salicylate and hydrochloric acid are we talking about?

These sound nasty, but they are all things we commonly run down our drains anyway in small amounts.

Is there more polyethylene glycol in the test than there is in an average dose of toothpaste and/or shampoo (which commonly contain small amounts of PEG)?

Is there more hydrochloric acid (HCL) than a dose of HCL based drain cleaner? (I find this highly unlikely, drain cleaners based on it contain huge amounts of HCL, concentrated enough to burn your skin quickly and you end up dumping a few cups down the drain)

Is there more salicylate than you end up urinating out (in the form of salicylic acid) after you take a dose of aspirin?
The items I have listed are specifically noted in the MSDS as not to but down drain or sewer, so make of it what you will.

| Eheim Prof 3, 2217, 2213 (Purigen only) + 350 Skim, Reeflex UV 800 | HC300A Chiller | 3xKessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + Aqua Medic Reactor1000 | DIY Fertz + 2 x Jabeo DP-4 | CAL AQUA LABSí Black Earth & GreenBase subst. + root tabs

| Eheim 2217 + 2213 | Kessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + atomiser | DIY Fertz | ADA Africana + root tabs.

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 03:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Read the MSDS more closely, and pay attention to the context.

They mention such warnings in terms of 3 situations:

1) wash water from process equipment (ie: washing equipment processing major quantities, as in at the API plant)
2) firefighting (again, industrial context here)
3) "major spills", ie: many gallons of solution.

At no point do they warn about the disposal of amounts normally used in performing a test on 5ml of water.

MSDS's are great, but you've really got to read them in proper context. Most MSDS's are written with industrial-level usage in mind. A 55-gallon drum of test solution containing HCL is a lot different than 5 drops.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 06:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A MSDS is a safety document and as an environmental scientist in an industrial (both power station and waste water treatment) context I can assure you I understand its context. The MSDS primarily refers to spills from a context of human safety (WHS). Almost all environmental law (which this is relevant), has no threshold for an incident and even dictates that an environmental breach only has the 'potential' to cause harm.

Now we can argue as long as you like on immateriality of 5ml of solution down the drain. Its very similar to the very small amount of cadmium or lithium in batteries that go to landfill. The issue here is the accumulative nature and synergistic outcomes waste water treatment context.

You also missed this:

The simple fact is that the best and most responsible disposal is correct storage and disposal to HHW facilities. The only justification for not doing so is laziness or contempt for the environment.

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 07:24 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (30/100%)
Yep, store it all up and watch some "common denominator" accidentally spill/mix a little bleach in. Or any number of other possibilities that this could react badly with.

Darwin Award goes to the cautious idiot..

Safe is great, but some people shouldn't be trusted to do the right thing. Rather just the least immediately harmful one.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 07:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Give me a break. That could be said for ANY chemical. You may have missed it, but I did mention keeping it in different containers....

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 07:45 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (30/100%)
I did not.

I am speaking of those who will. And as you request, break granted as I have spoken my mind. Carry on
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 09:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
The perfect thing to do is yes collect test samples in a suitable container preferably one with a child safety cap, make sure you label it with the contents or you could be fined by law, an old excel bottle with the excel label isn't going to cut it here people, make sure they are marked with proper corrosive labeling and keep those inserts as they have the MSDS information you need to have on hand just in case of a potential environmental spill, or little Johnny next door decides it's cool aid and drinks it.

Next lets take our 500ml bottles to the local waste water treatment facility when they are full and turn them over for proper disposal. When the staff looks at you like you lost your mind explain to them EXACTLY what you have, and why your storing it, and why your bringing it to them. Don't forget to tell them just how long it took you to collect that 500ml as well, also don't forget to have a pretty close idea of the amount of caustics/acids that are contained in your container by % so they know just how responsible your being...

GTFOH/GMAFB/LMFOA

Coming from the manufacturing side of chemicals (both caustics and acids) as a manager having to know the EPA compliance regulations and having reported spills that hit the sewer drains and in much greater excess than even the whole bottle of a testing solution contains, only to be told that the threshold was of no concern.

There is not one single EPA rep here in the states that is going to bat an eyebrow over the very minimal amount of potentially toxic chemicals going into the drain when we check our water quality. The amount is so negligible it's pathetic, I understand the mindset of accumulative effect and being an avid outdoors man myself I have as much respect for the environment as any other person here, but really, some people here can't be serious. The accumulative affect of house hold drain cleaners people use daily isn't an issue and those chemicals are MUCH more potent than our test kits.

Granted the chemicals we use to test our tank water quality are toxic, you certainly don't want to drink them, if you get them on you wash them off with cool tap water. But one would need MUCH more than the bottles we use in an API test kit to create even a blip on the water quality radar, pour it down the sink, flush it with tap water diluting it even further. Not one single waste water treatment operator here in the states would find cause for comment or concern, I'm sure there are a few operators in the hobby that do just that, pour it down the sink without a care or worry in the world

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode