What could cause an increase in Nitrates? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Question What could cause an increase in Nitrates?

My tank has been up and running since July 2010. Heavily planted no fish or shrimp deaths in a year. But, my normally 0 nitrates have gone up to 5ppm. Everything else is within normal limits. I normally do water changes every 2 months or so, but not because of water quality, but because I'm paranoid. I can't see any reason for the nitrates to increase like this. They have not been an issue since my fishless cycle 4 years ago.
Also wanted to add, my RCS have started reproducing "better" in the last month. I'm also curious why this is. So something is going on strange. Shrimp are breeding and water quality is decreasing? Doubt a few baby shrimp could cause such a problem.

46 Bow Front Planted
Eheim 2217 & 2236, 2-39wt T5 bulbs (10,000), 72-75*
Pristella tetras, cardinal tetra, amano shirmp, bamboo shrimp, nerite snails, assassin snails and red cherry shrimp.

My tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Mandy

Last edited by PlantedTankLover; 09-20-2014 at 04:36 AM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 04:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Hi PlantedTankLover,

Possibly you are feeding more food due to the increased population? If so then fish and/or shrimp poop.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 05:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedTankLover View Post
My tank has been up and running since July 2010. Heavily planted no fish or shrimp deaths in a year. But, my normally 0 nitrates have gone up to 5ppm. Everything else is within normal limits. I normally do water changes every 2 months or so, but not because of water quality, but because I'm paranoid. I can't see any reason for the nitrates to increase like this. They have not been an issue since my fishless cycle 4 years ago.
Also wanted to add, my RCS have started reproducing "better" in the last month. I'm also curious why this is. So something is going on strange. Shrimp are breeding and water quality is decreasing? Doubt a few baby shrimp could cause such a problem.
Nitrates as opposed to nitrites are nothing to be concerned with in my understanding. Nitrates are non-toxic to fauna for the most part and are used by plants as a nutrient, so it looks like the plants have stopped using nitrates like they use to. I've always seen it said to maintain nitrate levels between 10-15ppm for the benifit of the plants, people commented on my 0ppm nitrate as being to low as far as my plants were concerned. Though in my case I don't think I was shaking the bottle enough to get a good test read.

Do you dose ferts?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 09:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
At 5ppm, I would not be concerned one bit especially in a planted tank. Once you get to 30-40ppm then you can worry. It's possible that the breeding is putting extra organics in the water column. Breeding means an increased bio load. Shrimp account for almost nothing but all together the produce waste, molt and even die without a trace.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hmmmm. Maybe my normal 0ppm could have always caused my slow plant growth. I have increased their food because of all the new shrimp, but only feed every other day. No do not use any ferts. I used to but never seen any change. I was using flourish excel, but it started killing my moss.
Alright so let me see if I have this right. A small amount of Nitrates is a good thing. Scratching my head here.
My first instinct was to do a large water change, but wanted to see what y'all had to say first.

46 Bow Front Planted
Pristella tetras, cardinal tetra, amano shirmp, bamboo shrimp, nerite snails, assassin snails and red cherry shrimp.

My tank:

-Mandy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 09:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedTankLover View Post
No do not use any ferts. I used to but never seen any change. I was using flourish excel, but it started killing my moss.
Excel isn't a fert, it's a carbon supplement source. When ferts are referred to it's about Macros/micros.

Explained here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=517945
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Then no, other then root tabs I'm not using fets

46 Bow Front Planted

My tank:

-Mandy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode