Question CO2 levels and time to get there - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Question CO2 levels and time to get there

Hi everyone,

Question regarding CO2 levels. Previously I was using an inline diffuser but switched to a cerges this week. My question is on when my tank should be reaching 30+ppm of saturation. My co2 comes on 1 hour prior to lights, but I see with my pH probe that it takes probably half the photo period to reach a full point drop on pH. Should my water reach that level sooner or is this ok and how the tank should be fed the co2? I've had some green spot and fuzz algae issues so I am curious if I've been doing it wrong this whole time and should be feeding more co2 so it reaches this level sooner.

As an additional question, what is the average pressure you all run on a cerges?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 03:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
You may need 30 ppm or....not you might need more for optimal growth, in a few cases, less.

Better circulation, larger flow through for reactor, better degassing at night etc.
Those will improve performance.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Thanks Tom,

I'm not having an issue in performance, was more of a question. I know I still have to fine tune my settings with the cerges since it's new to me, but was more just for knowing when the levels should really hit max in the water. Is it better to be at max levels earlier or throughout the day with a slower, but steady climb.

My cerges is a GE Smartwater housing and a 1 inch PVC inside. I used 3/4" bars on the output so flow should not be a problem. I also have a koralia 425 running for flow. I do plan on adding a second filter though inside, going to pick up an eheim soon.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 02:08 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am curious about this as well, i have been dealing with bba and it seems to keep spreading. My c02 comes on an hour or an hour and a half before my photo period, but my drop checker does not display a true green/yellow till maybe 3 hours into the photo period. I also have an additional powerhead that kicks on during the photo period to increase circulation for the last week or so, but it has not seemed to improve my bba problems

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode