when to start fertilizing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
when to start fertilizing

Thanks to information gotten here, I'm about to redo (again) my 33 gallon planted tank. I'm planning on using 3 bags of Eco-Complete substrate.
I considered trying to reuse some of the plants by removing the algae that most are covered with, but perhaps I'm better off to just get new stuff.
As I use RODI water, I will use SeaChem Equilibrium to adjust the GH.
Since I've learned about EI, I'm wondering when that dosing should begin. Because I've got quite a lot of it on hand, I'm going to use SeaChem nitrogen, potassium, iron and phosphorus. I've heard about "all in one" products but I don't know where to get and which. I've also heard about dry product dosing and it is something I also know little about.
I'd also like to know when CO2 dosing should start. I have used a pressure system w/ PH regulator & solenoid and I've always started it up right away. I use a little CO2 indicator, inverted cone and keep it green. I also realize there is probably a better way to measure levels and get it into the tank than a diffuser (ceramic).
I'm going to use a 2-tube T5 for 8 hour photo-period, Giesemann midday and aquaflora.
I need some hand holding here, this is redo 4 I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 10:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Start both the dosing and co2 right away. No reason to wait.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 10:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilocg View Post
Start both the dosing and co2 right away. No reason to wait.
+1 especially since eco complete is inert and your using RODI water which has nothing in it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I agree with Nilocg. You should start dosing and CO2 from the start. You should go ahead and get your dry fertilizers if youíre going to use EI. The Seachem products wonít last long. I donít see any trace fertilizers listed which will be a problem long term.

Here are the EI doses for what you have. Dose those 3 times a week with a 50% water change every week.

Nitrogen 13ml
Phosphorus 37ml
Potassium 12ml
Iron 6ml

Here is a post I made about EI and non-limiting nutrients. It should give you a good idea of whatís going on. When you get your dry fertilizers here is a post that lists the amounts to dose.

There are several places to buy dry fertilizers. However, nilocg sells them at a good price and knows how to use them should you need advise.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks

Good information. I couldn't get Eco-Complete, Got Flora-Max instead, any differences?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Not sure but it is probably similar.

I would dose everything right off the bat anyways. Per Zorfox's calculations you will be all set. However, as you can see, you will probably run out of Seachem ferts after not too long. IMO just buy dry ferts when you're going to run out of liquid ferts. Way cheaper in the long run.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

You bet.

I'm gonna have him send me one of his DIY EI Liquid Fert Kits.
Is plain Florish the micro nutrient solution?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 01:56 AM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
There is no real difference between the two substrates as Eco just has bacteria and Floramax doesn't. However, you must dose fertz immediately because Eco/Floramax are inert. Otherwise, you're plants will stunt, die, and algae will take over. Source: my own experience.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 07:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Agreed with the above, i begin dosing first week.

Michel.

Plants and algae grower.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmann51 View Post
I'm gonna have him send me one of his DIY EI Liquid Fert Kits.
Is plain Florish the micro nutrient solution?
They're all Flourish products. Flourish comprehensive is a decent trace mix which is what's usually referred to as plain Flourish. If you're going to be ordering EI fertilizers just get Plantex. If you're talking about Nilocg he uses Plantex for his traces as far as I know.

There are a few differences between Eco-complete and Floramax but in my opinion they both work about the same. Eco has bacteria and comes in fine or coarse grades. Eco is a little cleaner. After a few weeks there should be no difference to be honest.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode