Filter broke down - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Filter broke down

My tank ran for 6 days with another filter and old filter pads for 6 days. Started repaired filter with old filter pads. This happened a 8wks ago. Went finally got rid of diatoms but have slight to med. case of green spot algae. Water gets slight green water. Reduced light from 8hr to 6hr. raised the light from on glass to up 4". Vac gravel weekly 50% water change. reduced food amount by 1/2 black worms and sinkable discus.
vac'ed tank 2 nights ago. In the morning the water was slightly milky Discus dying. Changed 50% water. Removed dead fish. 5hrs later water slightly milky. Did 50% water change two more dead discus. Vacuumed gravel, cleaned filter. Filter was greenish brown sludge. water phrams are 20,0,7,40,30 silica in tap water same as tank 2. Phosphate 1.
I use EI and generic flourish. Can't seem to get a balance in the tank. This is the same tank, fish , tap water and food I have always used. the light timer has been reduced. Worked fine for a couple of years why not now. One discus left other fish and frogs fine. When the water turned milky assassin snails went to the top of the tank.

75g, pair of gold rams , ABN, 1 adult 2 young discus, 2oto's, 6ADF's, 3 anglefish. 96w 6700k-light 6hrs raised, No C02, Excel, EI dry macro's and micro's, Eheim 2126, 18w UV, 2 Nano 270 powerhead. wall of bubbles for more O2 for such a deep tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 02:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy This Really Bites

I am sorry for your losses.

I may need you to help me through this post, I am particularly useless when it comes to abbreviations and numbers without values attached.

I think you are saying you had a filter (canister) fail, 8-weeks ago and used some kind of replacement filter, while the original filter was repaired. Put the repaired filter back in service with pads (media?) from the replacement filter that had been running 6-days.

The problem is not just the dead fish (did you by some off chance cut it open?) it is the likely die-off of a huge microbial population.

Best guess the tank had been running pretty close to its maximums, when the filter went out and subsequent replacement the Ammonia/Nitrite levels spiked, the Clea Helena heading for the surface is an indication of low Oxygen water, possibly also ammonia, can you help me with your pH levels, you may have given it but I am not smart enough to understand.

The milky water, assuming no bad odor is likely bacterial bloom, a good thing in this case.

You may need to do daily or every other day 50% plus water changes for a week or two.

Joe
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

nitrates 20, nitrites o, ph 7, kh 7. kh 40, gh 30
silica same as in tap 2, phos 4
After getting the filter running again I only had a few nitrate spike the water has been tested weekly. except this last week of course during this problem except after.
EI fertz has phos in it wonder if I should stop it or lower it?

75g, pair of gold rams , ABN, 1 adult 2 young discus, 2oto's, 6ADF's, 3 anglefish. 96w 6700k-light 6hrs raised, No C02, Excel, EI dry macro's and micro's, Eheim 2126, 18w UV, 2 Nano 270 powerhead. wall of bubbles for more O2 for such a deep tank.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalview View Post
water phrams are 20,0,7,40,30 silica in tap water same as tank 2. Phosphate 1.
To be more specific.. what are those water parameters, exactly.

I can tell that
Silica = 2 (ppm I assume)
Phosphate = 1 (ppm also, I assume).

What are the 20,0,7,40,30?

I can guess that 7 might be pH. I'd also assume Ammonia and Nitrite numbers are in that set, but I'd really expect those to both be 0, and there's only one zero in the set.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just did a water change because the phos was up as you can see above. nitrates were 20

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 06:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile Assuming ppm on the units

Doing a water change is a good idea, but the phos(phate?) is of no particular relevance.

Can you account for the Nitrates from your dosing?

Are you asking for help? If not it is okay.

Joe
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My nitrates and nitrites have always been 0. I had never measured the silica or phosphate levels till now. Don't understand why I got a bacterial bloom after vac' ing the gravel and with the water change. I use a syphon so the gravel debris is sucked out and should not cause the bloom. I never had green spot algae before with the same set up. I do know that I got lazy over the years and stopped doing water testing. I just want to get the green spot gone. it is on the rocks and wood now. I know it can just need waiting till the tank is older but, It is not being aggressive.
I only have one adult discus left and he is weak. Rams are laying eggs, frogs are active. I won't add new Discus babies from a friend till I see where the tank stays. I have raised Discus for a couple of years now. (just for fun). Mostly I just let nature eat their eggs in this tank
All I really want to know is should I just wait and see with time what the algae will do? Why did I have a bacterial bloom killing my Discus? That has never happened in the years of this tank.
Just had a thought! When the filter went out several large fast and slow growing plants died. Have not got around to adding more. There still is anubias nano and Water Wisteria (which grows really fast). Wonder if I should add more fast growing plants there is a lot of room.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 08:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile Dilution is the Solution to Pollution

I suspect you just had a perfect storm of things that by themselves would not have been a big deal. I think you are on the right track, with water changes and such.

Do get plants in even if you do not intend keeping them. Mosses are great, wisteria, stem plants, fast growing plants.

One of the things that sometimes happens and I think is likely in your case is a cascade, the plants and fish being obvious, but if a die-off in the microorganisms, as well as worms and fungus and all the little creatures that make the plants possible die that can also foul the water, I suspect that when you vacuumed the gravel this is what you kicked up. At the same time getting oxygen and things moving is (or was) part of the cure.

One of the problems with our ammonia tests are that the ďammonia eventĒ is often over so fast, we do not see it at all. Sudden increases in Nitrates that cannot be explained by dosing are usually our best evidence.

The other is taking a close look at the dead critters, I know this grosses a lot of folks out, but even observations about streaking on the body, what the poop is like, a look inside the gills. The blood is often a very obvious clue, provide answers.

Keep dosing nutrients, I know it seems strange but the stuff in the water from salts you dose are rarely a problem.

I think things will get back to normal pretty quickly, though you will not be as likely to take it for granted. My only real advice is any time you see anything that looks like a filter problem, especially when keeping messy carnivores, is water change.

Joe
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks!
The die off of the fish is fast about 10hrs. I still have one Discus fighting and have been watching the changes in her. If something does happen to her I will exam her more closely.
For now she has lost the white strips of mucus on her body and fins. But is staying in mostly one spot. Her coloring seems close to normal just not her actions. Have not seen her eat yet.
Time will tell

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode