Water problem - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water problem

Hi guys i'm having a lil of a problem here my tank is reading between 6,0 and 6,4 now the problem comes when i make a water change! My tap water is above 7,6 almost 8 i try api ph down to prepare my water combined with api tap water conditioner! Absolutely no result! What can i do to prepare my water for water changes?

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was referring to ph of course!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 12:39 AM
Algae Grower

what are you doing to get your tank down to 6.4 ph that seems to a bit of a drop from your tap water.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 02:50 AM
Suspended

PTrader: (101/100%)
Put the tap water in the bucket and let it settle down for a day. Test the PH and see the result.
I also use Prime to remove chlorine from the tap...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Dr.rodger hehe honestly nothing strange just water change every week 50% that i will drop to 25% next week due to this problem i had some tetra neons but they dont survive after the water change! And now i'm really scared! I have a 40 gallons and i have co2 pressurized ( 1 buble every two second) every water change i agree micros and macros! There is a way i can play a little bit with co2 to make chenge the ph?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Jungleflow i try that too in a small bucket but unfortunately i don't have too much luck! Because i test the ph and was almost the same! I try with ph down and it works for a couple of hours but then there is a kind of rebound because the day after was at the same ph! i'm thinking there is something in my tap water! If i can't low the tap water ph how can i high The ph in my tank?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 07:03 AM
Planted Member

First of all the chemical ph up and ph down is not good to use because they don't remain where we need them to stay. I too need my ph to stay about 7.4 no higher. i use sera peat granulates so I filter my water for my water changes through 2 bags of peat to lower my ph from 8.4 down to my 7.4 along with indian almond leaves. It really works. Give the peat and the IAL a try. They will cause your water to turn yellow if you already know.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 07:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
First how old is this tank, how long set up?

Fish can survive a wide range of PH and most fish, unless you had an importer order your fish for you those fish were propagated here in the states most likely.

I have read that CO2 injection can bring your PH down, and you did say you had CO2 right.

Sounds to me like you have something else going on there. What are the other water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 09:00 AM
Planted Member

Ph-down products often use phosphoric acid or sulphuric acid. The pH will then bounce back because of the buffering capacity of your water, right up until your carbonate hardness is used up. You will then be left with very unstable water.

The peat/IAL method works, or you can use a combination of proper buffers, like Seachem Acid Buffer together with Seachem Alkaline Buffer. Once you find the correct proportions of these two, you'll have rock steady pH. More about it here.

Humans may rule the world...but bacteria run it..
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 02:52 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchu84 View Post
Dr.rodger hehe honestly nothing strange just water change every week 50% that i will drop to 25% next week due to this problem i had some tetra neons but they dont survive after the water change! And now i'm really scared! I have a 40 gallons and i have co2 pressurized ( 1 buble every two second) every water change i agree micros and macros! There is a way i can play a little bit with co2 to make chenge the ph?
As already mentioned try airating your watre in a bucket for 24 hrs to stablize your water Ive seen rain buckets used to do just this and a pump to fill with.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherLandDescendant View Post
First how old is this tank, how long set up?

Fish can survive a wide range of PH and most fish, unless you had an importer order your fish for you those fish were propagated here in the states most likely.

I have read that CO2 injection can bring your PH down, and you did say you had CO2 right.

Sounds to me like you have something else going on there. What are the other water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?
co2 at 1bubble per second can drop ph even n high gh water mines a full point lower then tap but designed that way.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 04:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Rodgers View Post
co2 at 1bubble per second can drop ph even n high gh water mines a full point lower then tap but designed that way.
Right CO2 can decrease PH. Everybody is giving this poster advice on adjusting PH when his PH difference between tap and tank is easily explained by the aspect of CO2 injection.

More often than not PH is a moot point in most cases, not all, but most. The poster has had fish deaths, sounds to me like something else is going on, and it has, most likely, no relation to the PH difference between tap and tank. Their tap water would acclimate to the tank PH post injection of CO2.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 08:30 PM
Algae Grower

sounds like you may have a problem with your buffering measure your gh and kh.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 08:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile You Do Not Say Whether it is a Problem Or Not

Has it been a problem?

If not leave well enough alone.

If it is a problem, boil your water in a nonreactive pot, pour it through a coffee filter, let cool and mix back with tap water for desired carbonate hardness (KH).

Joe
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
pH swings aren't an issue IMO. If things aren't dying / you don't have very sensitive fish you should be fine.

Chemical warfare to try and 'balance' pH is a bad idea as others have mentioned. This will cause larger swings. IMO you should just deal with it - most things don't care about pH and will be totally fine. Very very few (if any) users will suggest using pH up / down solutions. It is completely pointless to use these products - you are just wasting time and $$$.

QUICK CHANGES in pH are where the problems happen. Use of pH altering solutions usually does far more harm than just staying the course. pH swings QUICKLY because you are basically immediately forcing pH to change via chemicals and fish do not like abrupt changes of any kind.

Also as another user stated pH is supposed to go down when you inject CO2. This is how drop checkers work (all they do is test for pH) / every tank with injected CO2 has swings in pH. As long as the swings aren't very abrupt / you aren't gassing your fish you should be fine.

Also I totally agree with this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherLandDescendant View Post
Right CO2 can decrease PH. Everybody is giving this poster advice on adjusting PH when his PH difference between tap and tank is easily explained by the aspect of CO2 injection.

More often than not PH is a moot point in most cases, not all, but most. The poster has had fish deaths, sounds to me like something else is going on, and it has, most likely, no relation to the PH difference between tap and tank. Their tap water would acclimate to the tank PH post injection of CO2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 11:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If fish die when you change water, you are probably not:

adjusting the change water temperature to within a few degrees of the tank water, or
using a dechlorinator like Seachem Prime, or
using water within a few degrees of GH from the tank water.

Or you are using water from a water softener, etc.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode