Fertilizer Calculator: ppm to fert mix and vice-versa! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Post Fertilizer Calculator: ppm to fert mix and vice-versa!

I've made a simple Excel calculator to convert between dosage of KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4, and MgSO4 and the resulting amount of the nutrients NO3, PO4, K, and Mg. The main innovation is that you can specify each nutrient individually. If you want a lot of K but not much NO3, have at it.

Unlike the PPS-Pro calculators, this spreadsheet is not locked down; feel free to alter it. (I'm releasing it under CC BY-SA 4.0.)

Given your tank volume, the total amount of solution you're making, and the amount of that solution you plan to add to the tank, it'll either give you the ppm of each nutrient for a given fert mix, or tell you what fertilizers to mix to produce the given nutrient levels.

A screenshot may be more enlightening. (Never mind the odd nutrient levels; I'm working off a big NO3 surplus.) The yellow cells are inputs; the red text are outputs.

I think it'd be nice to have a bit more consistent discussion of fertilizer levels in terms of ppm per day/week of each nutrient. I know it took me a long while to get a sense of what the distinction between PPS and EI is, for instance. The rota.la calculator is great, but it doesn't help you control the balance between the three nutrients. For instance, I wrote this calculator to figure out a low-NO3 dosage for my over-fed tank.

I make no promises of user-friendliness. If you have ideas for better documentation or design, be my guest.

Download from MEGA - v.20140911
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry; this post got caught in the spam filter because of the external link, and never appeared on the front page. This is an unashamed bump!

Last edited by conklech; 09-22-2014 at 07:22 PM. Reason: clarify
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 07:24 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
there's an online calculator if you want to use it.

http://calc.petalphile.com

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
there's an online calculator if you want to use it.

http://calc.petalphile.com
Yes, that one is very nice, but doesn't allow you to adjust the balance between, e.g., NO3 and K, which is the purpose of my calculator.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
hahahahaha

I was thinking of doing the SAME THING. My job is to be awesome at excel / other microsoft products so I will take a look at this.

This is my favorite online calc:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...fertilator.php

I think you or myself can make something way better though

EDIT:
This is excellent for making solutions! I just dry dose / mix my ferts daily though so it is not so useful for me. Some instructions would definitely help out - I can see a lot of people having no idea how to use this just from what is presented. You also may want to hide the values used for calculations on another sheet. People will get confused.

You have inspired me to try my hand at making an Excel-based calc for dry dosing. I want to make one that is a simple tsp -> ppm calc for all of the macros that you list (depending on tank volume of course). I really just want something like the fertilator but is easier to use. I've been thinking about it but am too lazy to make it happen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by klibs; 09-22-2014 at 08:52 PM. Reason: asdfasdfsf
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 01:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Good idea! I am in the process of writing a free Windows based calculator you can download here. It sort of works the same way. But instead it provides a running total of everything. This allows you to see, for example, how much total potassium your dosing via everything. Then you can adjust as you want. I may add something like this later. I've just not had any time to work on it lately.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Google Drive version

I've tried sharing an updated version on Google Drive. It's not editable, so you'll have to save a copy to your own Google account or download it before you can put your own figures in.

Google Drive version of fertilizer calculator
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 08:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm still trying to puzzle how this works. With so much on the screen it gets confusing, at lest to me, Zorfoxs does as well but for a different reason. I like the idea of having a fert calculator on my PC as my internet at the house gets shaky a lot.

This SS to me looks to be for making up bulk liquid solutions, LMK if I'm wrong here, and if I am I'd like to figure out how to set it to give me the daily dry dosing for my tank so I can see the accumulative effects on K if that is possible.

I find that the recipes Zorfox provided in another post was a good starting point, however by the end of the week my nitrates are in the 80ppm+ range so I want to cut back on my KNO3 dosing, at the same time I want to make sure I don't fall short in the K range for EI. I also dose KH2PO4, K2SO4, and the Plantex CSM+B.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 12:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherLandDescendant View Post
With so much on the screen it gets confusing, at lest to me, Zorfoxs does as well but for a different reason.
I can see that happening. I wrote it that way to get the "core" working. My intention was to make it easier to use and understand. My initial goal was to create a "Wizard" which asks questions. What is your PAR level, water change schedule, CO2 injection, Excel etc. Now that I have all the routines sorted it's more of a visual redesign. Oddly enough, that's much easier.

Few people care about the underlying reasons for this ppm or that. What you see now would be the advanced tab.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. When will I add suggestions? Whenever I find the time and desire to sit down and do it lol. You can't beat the price though.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 03:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
You can't beat the price though.
Right I still have to sit down and really play around with yours and the one conklech did. My work schedual has been brutal this week, and I thank you and conklech for your efforts.

Suggestions? Showing what the target should be, daily dry dosing caculations vs amounts needed to make a 500ml bulk solution, showing the accumlitive effect of various componets so I don't get to far over on say K, or Fe when I supplement the Plantex mix with extra Fe for my swords.

Anything else I'll let you know.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I'd like to figure out how to set it to give me the daily dry dosing for my tank so I can see the accumulative effects on K if that is possible.
The third red column in the bottom calculation is the daily dry dosing, in tsp, to achieve a given ppm. (I guess my assumption was that you wouldn't be doing dry dosing in grams, but that could be added easily.) I added an annotation to the Google version to highlight that.

To go the other way, you'd use the second calculation from the bottom, the one marked Total dose → Daily conc. (These are bad terms, sorry.) You'd have to manually convert from teaspoons to grams if necessary.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Right I still have to sit down and really play around with yours and the one conklech did. My work schedual has been brutal this week, and I thank you and conklech for your efforts.

Suggestions? Showing what the target should be, daily dry dosing caculations vs amounts needed to make a 500ml bulk solution, showing the accumlitive effect of various componets so I don't get to far over on say K, or Fe when I supplement the Plantex mix with extra Fe for my swords.

Anything else I'll let you know.
It already does all that lol.

Look at the image below.

Circle one shows the ppm for the method shown above. In this case the EI method.

Circle two shows the choice between dry or solutions. Btw you can change the container size and dose size to anything you like. In fact most things can be changed like this.

Circle three is the button to click that will start a total or as you said "the cumulative effect of various components". That will total each component of each fertilizer.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 03:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by conklech View Post
The third red column in the bottom calculation is the daily dry dosing, in tsp, to achieve a given ppm. (I guess my assumption was that you wouldn't be doing dry dosing in grams, but that could be added easily.) I added an annotation to the Google version to highlight that.
Don't know about high tech set ups, but in my low tech I dose in mg

Quote:
Originally Posted by conklech View Post
To go the other way, you'd use the second calculation from the bottom, the one marked Total dose → Daily conc. (These are bad terms, sorry.) You'd have to manually convert from teaspoons to grams if necessary.
Teaspoons is volume, grams are weight. I know from experance that the two don't convert well. A 1/4tsp of KH2PO4 and a 1/4tsp of CSM+B weigh two totally diffrent weights. I saw that real quick when I started using a jewelers scale to measure ferts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
It already does all that lol.

Look at the image below.

Circle one shows the ppm for the method shown above. In this case the EI method.

Circle two shows the choice between dry or solutions. Btw you can change the container size and dose size to anything you like. In fact most things can be changed like this.

Circle three is the button to click that will start a total or as you said "the cumulative effect of various components". That will total each component of each fertilizer.

OK I'll check that out, hopefully tomorrow, I'm at work right now and can't DL the app to this computer. It may take me until Tuesday before I can really sit down with it and poke around

But thanks for the app, like I said it really helps and is nice to have an app on my desktop that I can access when the internet at the house is being fickle, which it is quite often.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Don't know about high tech set ups, but in my low tech I dose in mg

Teaspoons is volume, grams are weight. I know from experance that the two don't convert well. A 1/4tsp of KH2PO4 and a 1/4tsp of CSM+B weigh two totally diffrent weights. I saw that real quick when I started using a jewelers scale to measure ferts
I added another column to the calculator to give daily dosage in grams. You can change the formatting to show more decimal places if you want.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode